No more Mandrake updates from texstar

jamboarder

I didn't realize that texstar stopped providing 3rd party rpms for Mandrake:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distribut...Mandrake/README

:unsure:

If it hadn't been said enough before thanks for ALL the awesome work you did man! I'm sure I'm not the only new convert to linux that stayed that way based in no small way on your work. Thanks again, and good luck with whatever's next! :thumbs:

peace

AFAIK, he is still providing RPMS for PCLinuxOS, which will work on 9.2. I could be wrong about this. I have an email at home that has the ftp site for the PCLOS contrib RPMS that I got from DragonMage. I will post it here when I get home if someone doesn't do it beforehand.

Dragonmage and I have been helping Texstar beta test PCLinuxOS for the last few weeks. I would say that it would NOT be a good idea to use the PCLinuxOS rpm's with a standard Mandrake 9.2 install unless you really know what you are doing.

There are some specific tweaks in the some of the rpms that make them different from Mandrake in some cases. Some of them may work, but many of them will not as they are built to run with specific changes and modifications that Texstar added. Most of the KDE packages have been done using totally different themes, icons, styles, etc that sometimes use different directories than a standard Mdk install. So if you use them you'll probably have some conflicts.

So I'd advise caution if you decide to go that route because you'll very likely break something and have a hard time finding it.

You might post a question about specific rpms on the www.pclinuxos.com site in the PCLinuxOS forum. Texstar is a great guy and he might be able to tell you which ones are safe to use.

I like it! We have a bunch of bug fixes coming in the next release... due soon Those will fix a lot of issues.

What we really need is more people with different types of hardware to help in finding the bugs and quirks. Texstar is great at getting them fixed and the mkliveCD guys do a super job of providing the things people are asking them to provide.

So far, so good. :thumbs: