Vanilla kernel 2.6.0

Shvetal_Patel

Hello all,

I am trying to Install the Vanilla 2.6.0 Kernel on my 9.2 mdk download edition.

I have the glibc-static-devel. Installed and the module-init-tools 0.9.15 pre-4.

Have compiled the kernel and modules. The module_install worked fine too without any Unresolved Symbol stuff.

I do use the mkinitrd to create the initrd.img file and the file is mention in lilo.conf

But when I reboot my system. I get the following error message.

mount: error 6 mounting ext3

pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot,sysroot/initrd) failed: 2

freeing unused kernel memory: 304k freed

kernel panic: no init found. try passing init=option to kernel

I have an IDE and a SCSI Disk. I boot from my IDE drive and the root partition is on SCSI.(/dev/sda5)

I have tried googling the web and for the past 3 day have been trying to solve the issue including several rebuilds of the kernel with and without ext3 support in the kernel and as module.

Any info to proceed in the right direction will be appreciated.

:help:

That looks like the problem I was getting earlier. What CPU do you have and what version of gcc? As gcc 3.3.1 (mdk 9.2 default) is screwed for k6,k6-2,k6-3 cpu's. While Cookers gcc-3.3.2-1 and gcc-3.3.2-2 are screwed for compiling any kernel by the looks of it.

You should also check to make sure you have scsi compiled into the kernel or as modules.

well I said what I said because the first time I tried it, I needed more than just the new module-init-tools and a kernel and I was and still am cooker. The error you're getting is the same I got when I had 9.1 and tried to get by without one pkg (don't remember which one). A good cooker source for urpmi and you're good to go. It's that simple. I do not remeber which pkgs, because well, why would I with urpmi (rhyme)? I'm thinking a new initscripts and mkinitrd. I can understand not wanting to do this if dialup and if it's not a necessity, but if you're broadband why haggle with whether it will or won't? Let the distro do the work, is what I say.

[root@suse /]# rpm -qa | grep init

SysVinit-2.85-1mdk

module-init-tools-0.9.15-0.pre4.1mdk

xinitrc-2.4.4-76mdk

initscripts-7.06-32mdk

mkinitrd-3.4.43-10mdk

[root@suse /]# rpm -qa | grep module-init-tools

module-init-tools-0.9.15-0.pre4.1mdk

[root@suse /]#

I haven't had any trouble compiling either w/ cooker gcc's.

Just use the gui in mcc>Software Management>Software Media Manager and add an FTP or HTTP server. When it's done adding the source, open rpmdrake+>Search for kernel>select the 2.6 and say yes to deps>check that you bootloader was edited correctly>reboot.

Oh, I'm using

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux...6/Mandrake/RPMS

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux...el/contrib/i586

ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/...mandrake/cooker

Edited by bvc

for some weird reason have yet to figure out.....I can't get any of the plf pkgs to download and install.....been having to go there manually and rpm -ivh or add the dir to my sources.

Oh, it worked for a couple of weeks, and the hdlist is there....I d/k what's up...

Edited by bvc

okay, i had a similar problem, it turned out I had included initrd support but not included Ramdisk support.

Make sure you compile your SCSI and IDE drivers into the kernel.

Also make sure EXT3 is compiled into the kernel.

Even try avoiding an initrd completely, dont compile initrd support into it and compile all your devices into the kernel instead of as modules.

I have tried googling the web and for the past 3 day have been trying to solve the issue including several rebuilds of the kernel with and without ext3 support in the kernel and as module.

Your root filesystem MUST MUST read me, MUST be compiled into the kernel, if it isnt, how the fsck is it meant to be able to read yout root partition to find modules??

ALWAYS Compile Ext3/your root file system into the kernel.

Good luck :D

iphitus

that's interesting...I don't do any of the above and do not have any probs......weird....distro specific prob? I know debian has debian specific kernel/scripts but I never got in to them and never compiled a kernel in debian either. Weird.

Edited by bvc