No video after boot

RodrigoDC

OK, I finally got it going. Here's what I had to do, just in case this problem arises to someone else:

As I said, Mdk 9.2 was installed correctly, but because I have dual monitors on two graphics card, I had set up my bios to use graphics card 2 (let's call it GC2, this one is the PCI card) to be my primary booting card.

As a result, when booting from Lilo graphical interface, the bios sends the graphic information to GC2. However, when Lilo finishes mounting all the applications, etc., when it mounts the graphic card it send the images to GC1 (this is the AGP card).

I assume that Linux chooses a AGP card by default before an PCI card. And, while I am far from being an expert in Linux and tweaking its configurations, I also assume that by default, Linux does not support dual graphics cards. Hence, the monitors go blank because Linux is trying to load a monitor from a card that it had not properly recognized.

What I did is to manually load the FDrake utility when re-installing Mdk, and making sure that the card it needed to recognize was the one that was NOT currently displaying (The AGP card, while the displaying card was the PCI card, we're still on the installation disk, remember).

That was that, simple, yet complicated. Thanks to all for your kind help and I hope my experience helps someone else....

RV :xmas:

I assume that Linux chooses a AGP card by default before an PCI card. And, while I am far from being an expert in Linux and tweaking its configurations, I also assume that by default, Linux does not support dual graphics cards.

I belive it does choose agp first, of course this could depend on bios.

Yes, linux does support dual. If you do an expert install, the last screen (Summary screen) should allow you to config both.

Glad you got it!

Edited by bvc