startx failes after upgrading XFree86

klemm

Hi

Upgraded yesterday the XFree 86 to the one that was on the MandrakeUpdates server.

Today when I start my computer the X does not start,

When I log in and run startx then I get a error

execve failed for /etc/X11/x erno 2

giving up

xinit: No such file or directory (erno 2): Unable to connect to X server

Now what ? I need some help here

I have mandrake 9.1 and my X was working perfectly until now.

Kristjan

klemm........

ya, as you now know, the XFree86 security update for mdk9.1 is screwed up. why they haven't noticed this yet, or at least taken that update off the mirrors, i dunno.

anywho, if you haven't been able to fix it yet, this is what ya need to do.......

after you get the error message:

execve failed for /etc/X11/x erno 2

giving up

xinit: No such file or directory (erno 2): Unable to connect to X server

you should be left at a login prompt. type in your password as you normally would, hit enter. su to root (su->enter->root password->enter) then, type the following (this is cap sensitive):

urpmi XFree86

hit enter.

it will now tell you that it found the following package XFree86(version number) do you want to install? answer yes, hit enter. it will then tell you that XFree86-server is also neccessary, do you want to continue/install. answer yes, hit enter. it will then ask you for your MDK Install CD1. pop that disc in, hit enter again, & let it install the XFree86 packages. when it's done, you'll be back at the user prompt. type reboot , then hit enter. you're machine will then reboot & you'll be back to normal. you will be now running an older version of XFree86 & server but they work just fine. if you want the latest bug free version of it, go to here for XFree86-4.3-8.2mdk.i586.rpm..., here for XFree86-server-4.3-8.2mdk.i586.rpm & here for XFree86-libs-4.3-8.2mdk.i586.rpm. download those packages, then install them in this order..........XFree86, XFree86libs, XFree86server. reboot after you install them (or just restart X) & that will give you the latest good version of XFree86 for MDK9.1.

EDIT: actually, if you do get the latest XFree86 packages i lested above, the main XFree86 package will install the proper libs with it, so all you need to do after installing XFree86-4.3-8.2mdk.i586.rpm is install the server. just make sure you install the server package afterwards, because the first one removes the old server version during install.

hope that helped..........

Chris

Edited by chris z

Thanks Chris

Its so good to have a good explaining replay. Thanks a lot

I actually got it working again by just reinstalling all the needed stuff from 9.1 installation CD. Now maybe one day I shall reconsider upgrading the XFree to the newer version .. just maybe. And maybe its already tonight because you have pointed some sources for the rpm-s that I trust at the moment more than Mandrakes Updates.

Did they fire the QA team ? :joker:

Kristjan

Since the installation of these upgrades, ihave a pb with my disks, the same error with startx, is it just an unlucky situation ?

However, i cannot manage to reinstall the good packages with urpmi XFree86; it returns: all is correctly installed!

I am sure the solution is not so far but i am lost with all these error messages since these days!

:help:

chris-tux.......

if you haven't resolved your XFree problem yet, try this........

log in & su to root after you get the error message & are left at the prompt. then, type the following to see what version of XFree packages you have installed.....

rpm -qa | grep XFree86

enter

rpm -qa | grep XFree86-server

enter

those commands will tell you what versions of XFree & server you currently have installed. once you know that, write down the exact package names (verbatim, cap sensitive) then do this to remove them.......

rpm -e XFree86(complete name of package)

enter

rpm -e XFree86-server(complete name of package)

enter

that should remove the XFree86 packages. then procede with the steps i listed a few posts up in this thread to install the XFree86 packages from your MDK cd's via urpmi.

post back with results........

Chris

well, yes. In my past experiences

rpm -qa | XFree86

will show the XFree-server version as well.

rpm -e XFree86<pkg_name/version>

didn't work because of dependencies so you have to

rpm -e --nodeps <XFree86bla bla bla>

Also, won't then urpmi attempt to install the updates again? I've always

cd /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMSbla bla

ls (to find them)

then cp and paste each version

rpm -ivh XFree86<pkg_name/version> XFree86<pkg_name/version> XFree86<pkg_name/version> XFree86<pkg_name/version> XFree86<pkg_name/version>

and hit Enter

...but, whatever works for you, eh? ;)

:D thanks to all!

effectively, if you want to urpmi XFree after desinstalling that b.. :furious3: .. update; urpmi tries to use the update source and you have the same problem...

I dunno if it is correct but i create a local dir for rpms /home/chris/rpms; add this to the urpm cfg as local: urpmi.addmedia local file://home/chris/rpms then urpmi the "old" packages.

Perhaps there is an easier and smarter way to do it but it worked! I really enjoyed the startx response.

Note that I had before during boot a strange message:ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed.

I asked for help about this message in the hardware part of the forum but got no clear answers...

Now, no disk problem! If you have any explanations...