powering off/rebooting

Michel

I tried power off, halt, shutdown -h now ...I suppose all are linked/kind iof aliases, but anyway nothing works.

I everytime get ..you have to be stuid root. But /usr/sbin/uyserhelper is etuid root (rws...). I'm running on securitylevel 4. I quite satisfied with this level, but I wopuld like to be able to shut down without havzeing to become root.

any ideas? thanks.

Well.. he did say he uses security level 4. I think that means that he is using the "higher" setting in draksec. That would mean that some programs such as shutdown and halt would require higher security setting than regular user.

Of course, I never tried the higher security setting than "standard". I use mandrake primarily as a desktop, not a server, so standard is good enough for me.

I beleive it has something to do with auto login also. If you auto login whether into a gui or not I thing you then have the option of shutdown. But if you don't auto loging then you need to revert back to root to do it.

I 90% of the time just have it set to auto login to KDE and use the shutdown button. When I don't auto login I can't use the button.

Ok, I can shutdown and reboot using sudo now ....

I made an alias: /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/poweroff for poweroff and also one for reboot.

This worls for shells (I made teh entry in /etc/profile.d), but doesn't work from gui ... Any idea which commans the gui uses to shutdown (I use gnome, but would like to make it work with others too ).

Ins standard-secuiryt level your X-server is listening to connections, every users can browse ervery users home-directory, ... Anyway I find also a good way to learn which techniques you can use for securing your system. Maybe my system isn't secure ... but I want to learn about it. Linux has quite some security-features, but what good are they if the most regular users won't use them ... Somebody at school uses his laptop always in root-mode. He was tired of having to type th root-password again and again... I am used to it , but I also don't think you have to type it again and again as far as I know: you can always login in a shell as root ... if that helps you, but anyway.

So, now to be able to shut down from using the gui ...

Edited by Michel