Virtual cd burner for audio cds

aRTee

I'm trying to use nero .nrg audio cd images.

Friends of mine have scanned their collection to .nrg files, but those are sadly not usable (also not on Win or OSX) other than to burn to cd, and they are non-compressed (or at least, they seem to be from the file sizes).

So I've explained it's better to rip to flac, but it would be nice if they could convert their current rips to flac as well.

I tried and managed using Nero for Linux, but I need to burn each .nrg to a cd (rw of course), then rip that one, then burn the next. So the speed and the quality both have me worried a bit. Plus, it wears out my burner.

Is there any way to create a virtual cd burner under Linux?

That way I can use nero to 'burn' the .nrg files to the virtual drive, then rip it as usual.

Please note the following:

I have not found any program that can use audio .nrg files under Linux. I have looked at nrg2iso, but that works for data discs only. There are some other similar things that I found which also didn't work, I forgot the names but can find those again, if necessary.

I also looked at audiofs and cdfs, which seem to be unmaintained since a while, in any case, I couldn't find any way to employ those.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Doesn't nero for linux have the ability to burn to an ISO? I've never used it, but maybe it's possible.

Or maybe try this:

mount -o loop,offset=307200 image.nrg /wheretomount

from here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/499696.html

Thanks Ian, but unfortunately that doesn't work...

I forgot to mention I had also found that, but an audio cd cannot be mounted, it's not iso9660 but IIRC redbook.

Also, yes, Nero can burn to an image,.. but that's an .nrg image.. which I have plenty of already.

So I'd really like to find a solution which has some kind of simulated/virtual cd burner.

Not sure if this is what you're after but I'd try IsoBuster through wine. You should be able to mount the .nrg files and extract all of the audio tracks/files to .wav which you can then convert to flac. If it doesn't detect your burner go to Options - Communication - Interface and change it to SPTI.

Edited by speedball2

Ian, you're good!!

One day, you're going to have to explain what exact search terms you used...

Anyway, thanks a lot!

Also thanks to speedball2, I would have gone that route (wine and win software) if cdemu hadn't worked so nicely.

How to install cdemu on Mandriva (2009.1 64 bit in my case)

Ok, so indeed cdemu works fine, all that was needed was (as root):

urpmi cdemu -a

and then I had to make sure the dkms module of vhba got installed - the urpmi command did install one precompiled vhba module, but not for my current kernel. It actually installed a slightly older kernel too, which I later removed.

So I did (still as root):

urpmi dkms-vhba

which installed and compiled the vhba kernel module for my kernel.

How to use cdemu

Then I loaded the module:

modprobe vbha

which created a device /dev/vhba_ctl

and started the cdemud daemon:

service cdemud start

No config file editing necessary.

At that point, the kernel message scrolled past (tail -f /var/log/messages):

May  6 23:08:02 zurich cdemud[2862]: Starting daemon in daemon mode with following parameters:  - num devices: 1  - ctl device: /dev/vhba_ctl  - audio driver: null  - bus type: system
May  6 23:08:02 zurich klogd: scsi 9:0:0:0: CD-ROM            CDEmu    Virt. CD/DVD-ROM 1.10 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
May  6 23:08:02 zurich klogd: sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
May  6 23:08:02 zurich klogd: sr 9:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5

and I checked to find:

# ll /dev/sr1
brw-rw----+ 1 martina cdrom 11, 1 2010-05-02 21:19 /dev/sr1

The vbha module loading may be done automatically, didn't try to start clean yet.

I also don't know yet if the cdemud will start automatically after rebooting, but I'll find out when that time has come. I would expect so.

So then as regular user (since the device was owned by the regular user) I did:

$ cdemu status
Devices' status:
DEV   LOADED     TYPE       FILENAME
0     0          N/A        N/A

followed by:

$ cdemu load 0 /mnt/neuchatel/giant/home/donkey/Globi_Seefahrer.nrg

and checked to find:

$ cdemu status
Devices' status:
0     1          PARSER-NRG /mnt/neuchatel/giant/home/donkey/Globi_Seefahrer.nrg

After that I started grip, and changed the cdrom device to /7dev/sr1, restarted it (it didn't want to see any contents, or perhaps I was not patient enough in my excitement), and it detected happily that there was a cd in the emulated drawer, got the track names from cddb and ripped it at high speed.

After finishing, grip happily ejected the emulated disc, so I found:

$ cdemu status
Devices' status:
0     0          N/A        N/A

For gnome users there's the applet gcdemu, but I'm on kde, and perfectly happy with the CLI, so no problem for me. It would be nice for non-gnome GUI oriented users if there would be some other GUI. Or if anyone has an idea how to start a gnome applet from within kde (4), please post below.

For info:

this search:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=virtual+cd+linux+nrg&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=91adda81b4716ca7

in google I simply did:

virtual cd linux nrg

third link down for cdemu :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.