HELP! with user and login problems

bizkit

i have recently installed mandrake 9.1. I'm confused on a couple issues, if you could help that would be great.

1) it doesnt have a useradd or adduser command

2)if im using GUI it automatically logs me in, doesnt ask for a password

3)it doesnt have a groupadd command

4)it wont let me manually type out a user name and password when i log in

instead it has a list of all the users that u click on.

5)it gives every user permissions to EVERY file on the computer

so basically every user is root

if you could help with any of these problems it would be apreciated

thanks

Kyle

hi bizkit,

it seems all of your problems are user/login related. it appears that you have set up for automatic login & not to show some settings & some permissions set wrong. it's nothing tragic & can be corrected easily enough. i'd suggest looking in 2 places to correct your issues..........

1. Mandrake Control Center (aka MCC)->boot->drakboot

to access MCC, you can do this....... (note: you will be asked for the root pasword to enter MCC)

open a terminal->

type su

hit enter

type root password

hit enter

that will put you in root mode (it's also know as su to root in linux terminology)

now type mcc

hit enter

that will open up MCC. go to where it says boot in the right column, then to drakboot. there you will be able to change/set different options for how your computer boots & some user settings. you can also look in the right column->system->userdrake to set some things. if all you need isn't there, do the following also.

2.in KDE (i'm assuming you're using KDE Desktop), click on the kicker icon in the lower left of the tool bar at the bottom->applications->KDE Control Center (KCC for short). look in the left hand column & go down to where it says "system". expand that tree, then go to "boot". you will have yet more options & controls for how you're computer boots & user info. you'lll need to also click the "adminstrator mode" button there & supply the root password to change things. there's also a "user" settings option in there too.

i'm not on my Linux box at the moment, so i'm going from memory here, but i know i'm in the ballpark with the locations of those 2 control panels. if i'm not exactly correct, just use the kicker button & explore the various sections in there. you'll see what i'm talking about. maybe somebody sitting at their MDK/KDE box right now can be a bit more specific. if not, i'll give clearer instructions at some point tonight when i get home & can have a look at things.

Chris

Edited by chris z

hmmm.......

every user on your system has root priveledges? well, (again) unless somebody has a better idea, check into this.........

what security level are you booting into? you can find that info in one of the previous locations i pointed you to. (i think it's in drakboot???) there should be several different security levels listed. (i think it's 5???) you want to be set somewhere in the middle (level 3 or 2???) for reasonable security, but not going overboard. if security is set too low, essentially every user has root priveledges. set too high, & it's the opposite........you'll need root priveledges to do most anything. again, if nobody else chimes in until i can look at things at home, check into that for the moment. also, in userdrake, click on a listed user, click the edit button, & look in the "groups" column to see what groups that user is a member of. you can take membership of groups away from users that way, also add groups to users. if you make any changes, click the "save" button then exit. if you're unsure about things you changed it'll ask you if you wanna save the changes you made when you try to exit, so just click "no". but before dicking with that, i'd check the security levels.

Chris

Edited by chris z

ok, i'm home............

i was slightly off as to where you set system security. to do that, go to.......

MCC->security->DrakSec

i'm guessing that you have might security levels set to "poor", which would allow common users more root priveledges than normal. if that's the case, then set the security level to "standard" from the drop down box where it says "security level". you can also change/set your security administrator there. i have mine set to user (me) since i'm the only user on my computer. you can set that to any user you like. also, after doing that, check the various tabs (network options, system options, periodic checks) at the top to make sure they all read "default". after that, click "ok" & try rebooting & see what the permission levels are like for each user. they should be as they are supposed to be after that, with normal users having some restrictions to files that only root can access.

post back with your results........

Chris

Hi,

That fixed my security problem. you where right it was set to poor. i had to switch back and forth between windows xp and mandrake in order to access the net so sorry with the late response. i am away from my broadband connection and i guess my modem is a winmodem or something it was telling me i needed a linmodem. i guess i will look further into this because i am away from my home internet connection a lot and sometimes need to access through 56k. has anyone else encountered this problem?

Kyle

hey bizkit,

glad you got the first batch of problems fixed. as for the winmodem........ i use DSL, so i can't help much with modem issues. i do know that WinModems are very difficult to get working in Linux, if you can even get them working at all. the only thing i can suggest is, if you haven't done this already, go to MCC->network & internet->drakconnect & run the wizard from there & see if it detects your modem. if not, then i'd suggest starting a new thread in the hardware forum listing your specific modem problem(s), make/model of the modem, & any errors you are encountering. good luck..........

Chris