paperless office

gmac

Small office, instead of filing cabinets and paper copies i am scanning documents on to the computer. These are not just single pages but often 30-40 pages sometimes double sided. I need a scanner that can scan multiple pages preferable double sided as well. These are readily available for windows. You can also buy programmes that link the documents in to a data base for easy recall. I've been using pdf format (star office works fine) for convenience ind somply storing in a folder. there are more sophosticated ways of doing it. So far I have been experimenting but now need to decide what I am doing. I would prefer to use linux but to date have not found equivalent software. There must be because large companies use this stuff and I know some of the resellers but their stuff is nit compatable with linux.

You can lease the software for £40-50 per month with full updates etc or £80-£100 of you want the hardware as well. Thats actually quite an attractive package. Some of the commercial client management systems are £100-120 per month for a single licence. Thats what started me playing around with star office, I can achieve the same end myself with a little bit of work.

The clever bit is the scanning software. Hope that clarifies things. You tend to assume everybody knows what you mean.