am i so stupid?

stag

well i was going to swap my server over to linux but wow i am not so sure any more..Is it really as complicated as it seems..All i want to be able to do is install my alcatel modem software ,,and if it is this difficult why would I want to bother

with linux at all...Sheesh iIjust want an enviroment i can work in and get things running smoothly.

Anyone can ya help me to get my software for the alcatel modem installed pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee.

then set up my networking to work in linux?

sorry I am so new to all of this

thanks guys n gals

well i was going to swap my server over to linux but wow i am not so sure any more..Is it really as complicated as it seems..All i want to be able to do is install my alcatel modem software ,,and if it is this difficult why would I want to bother

with linux at all...Sheesh iIjust want an enviroment i can work in and get things running smoothly.

Anyone can ya help me to get my software for the alcatel modem installed pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee.

then set up my networking to work in linux?

sorry I am so new to all of this

thanks guys n gals

Welcome to the board.

There are dozens of posts on networking here with useful tips. Your modem is also covered in many posts. Please use the search feature to help you, if you still get stuck, then post again, but give more Info. What version of MDK are you using? what have you tried so far? what (if any) error messages do you get?

Well, as Alcatel may not have provided on the box an Install software for your modem on Linux it's may be not as simple than with Windows in the beginning.

Generally a driver on Linux is a module. If there is a rpm package for it it can be installed with RpmDrake.

Search Google.com/linux for the package and have a look in Mandrake Controle Center (MCC)->RpmDrake to install it. Very easy.

Then configure your connection using DrakeConnect (still in MCC)

roland