Is SNF right for me?

Guest TheMole

Guest TheMole

Hi,

I currently run a Win NT4 server for my home network. One NIC to internal network (of four - ten machines depending) and one NIC to a NTL: cable modem. Currently I'm using WinRoute to route data between the two cards and also provide firewall and mail services to the network.

I'm looking into moving away from WinRoute and Windows for Linux due to costs and the fact that NT4 isn't that happy staying connected all day everyday all the time. The machine isn't meaty, but it's okay and has enough memory that will meet the specs for SNF.

Anyway, the point is (there is one, don't worry) is that will I be able to install a mail server (and any other servers) on the SNF? I know you can get SSH access but can you install RPMs and the like? Also can you install Apache on it, too? I'm assuming you can, but y'know?

Also, is SNF still being developed / worked on? Because no one seems to ever talk about it here, or anywhere, or is that because it's really bad? :lol:

Also, is there anyway of doing NT domain log ons with Linux? Currently nearly all of the machines are Win2k and it'd be really nice to be able to keep domain logging on?

Anyways... comments anyone? ;)

Thanks in advance.

TheMole

One NIC to internal network and one NIC to cable modem
Very "standard". Any linux distribution can handle this, provided that your hardware is compatible.
will I be able to install a mail server (and any other servers) on the SNF? Also, is SNF still being developed / worked on? or is that because it's really bad? :lol:
AFAIK, SNF7.2 is just Mandrake7.2, with configuration tools improved and different default values for various packages, with a firewall in mind. So:

- Anything Mdk7.2 can do, SNF7.2 can also do.

- Any server Mdk7.2 can handle, so can SNF7.2.

- I guess SNF7.2 is not bad, because IMO Mdk7.2 is one of the best/most stable Mandrake distribution released by Mandrakesoft (if you take into account the "Linux world's" status at release time of course).

- I guess SNF7.2 is not worked on anymore. But for that, you'd better ask Mandrakesoft.

is there anyway of doing NT domain log ons with Linux?
From what I've read: YES. It is said to be tricky to set-up, but the end-result is said to be reliable, and working well 24/24 7/7.

IMO, SNF7.2 is not interesting any more. Much improvement has taken place since that time, both for servers and other programs, and more specifically, server configuration tools have been greatly simplified and improved, up to their great current status in Mdk9.0 (look at Mandrake Control Center's screenshots!).

Anyway, first thing you should do is check your hardware here:

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3

then ask for details on this board for any hardware you have doubts about.

Yves.

Guest TheMole
Very "standard". Any linux distribution can handle this, provided that your hardware is compatible.

Yeh, the hardware is fine ;) I've ran various Mandrake distros on it before... It used to be my *OLD* workstation :P Both NIC's are NE2000 compat's anyway.

AFAIK, SNF7.2 is just Mandrake7.2, with configuration tools improved and different default values for various packages, with a firewall in mind. So:

- Anything Mdk7.2 can do, SNF7.2 can also do.

- Any server Mdk7.2 can handle, so can SNF7.2.

- I guess SNF7.2 is not bad, because IMO Mdk7.2 is one of the best/most stable Mandrake distribution released by Mandrakesoft (if you take into account the "Linux world's" status at release time of course).

- I guess SNF7.2 is not worked on anymore. But for that, you'd better ask Mandrakesoft.

Good, that's what I was hoping ;) Umm, I heard (can't remember where) that they were due to release a SNF8.2 which was going to be based on MDK 8.2, hence having the kernal which has better IP masquerading support etc. I guess that's not coming out - though :(

From what I've read: YES. It is said to be tricky to set-up, but the end-result is said to be reliable, and working well 24/24 7/7.

Excellent, I'll have to look into that.

IMO, SNF7.2 is not interesting any more. Much improvement has taken place since that time, both for servers and other programs, and more specifically, server configuration tools have been greatly simplified and improved, up to their great current status in Mdk9.0 (look at Mandrake Control Center's screenshots!).

I think MDK 9.0 would be pushing the hardware a little too much. Maybe I could just install non-X stuff, but I assume the majority of M9.0's config options are GUI based. Which is why the web interface was good.

I dunno, what other ones are there? IPCop is only on v0.1... and Mandrake have always been a good distro (IMHO) and it'd be nice to stay with them :D

Thank though :D

I think MDK 9.0 would be pushing the hardware a little too much. Maybe I could just install non-X stuff, but I assume the majority of M9.0's config options are GUI based. Which is why the web interface was good.

I think I have good news for you :-)

- By all accounts (for users with compatible hardware), Mandrake 9.0 is said to be faster than Mandrake 8.2 (which I suppose is about the same as 8.1: the one I'm using).

- I installed Mandrake 8.1 on a P150/32M.RAM/2G.drive laptop, and it runs really fine in graphical mode (I use IceWM instead of Gnome, which I prefer). So I assume that Mandrake9.0 would be still faster...

- All Mandrake tools are created to work both in graphical and console mode, so you have the choice. See here:http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php?s...id=2487&lang=en

Actually, I don't care much for my laptop's OS because it is mainly used as a X terminal (dumb graphical thin client) to connect to my Linux PC.

As for my PC, I would switch to Mdk9.0, but there's a bug in DRI (3D accel) for rage128 cards in Mdk9.0, and I have a Rage128... That's why I'm still with Mdk8.1.

Yves.

I read on the cooker mailing list that SNF 8.2 was being worked on but there was nothing in the dialogue there that suggested when it would be released.

Counterspy

actually MNF 8.2 is already released.

here's a "How-TO" that I found one day

ftp://wapdomainz.com/pub/How%20to%20insta...ut%20a%20CD.pdf