the last straw

linux_learner

my first computer was given to me by my folks. it had 98se. i crashed that about 20 times, resulting in as many reinstalls. most of which were my fault. then i bought my own pc, and it had ME on it. i still own this pc although i no longer run ME. i was a beta tester for XP. i got to try RC2. i liked it so much i bought it (big mistake :wall: ). about 2 years ago, i had XP in NTFS, and went to reboot and suddenly the file system was fried. all in all i have had to reinstall XP 11 times. most of those were not my fault (i learned alot from my experiences with 98 and ME). i can usually fix any problem. i pulled out my cd to get into the recovery console, and it didnt recognize the file system. this was a natize system. i had not at that time installed linux. there were no viruses, no trojans, no worms on my system. what caused it? i havent a clue. i do know, there is no fix for it.

the other night i went into XP (a truely rare thing). i was gonna prepare it resize the drive to make room for suse. my system has 2 drives. XP on hda, and mandrake on hdb. i ran sfc /scannow to repair any corrupted dll's. i set XP to do a thorough chkdsk upon reboot. when i rebooted, the chkdsk aborted. something about a super block. now XP will load to the splash screen with that blue racing bar, and imedately after it flashes a stop code and reboots. (same as 2 years ago). i again pull out the recovery console, and again it doesnt recognize the file system.

i decided after this, that i will not install XP again (dont wanna go through 20 questions with M$). i went to install 98se from the cd, but it aborts upon trying to configure the drive. my wife wants windows only for the gaming. if i ever get wine working, its good bye windows. i am left having to fdisk and format hda1 from in linux. so that hopefully (in my case, i hope not, but my wife wants the games) i can install windows :wall:

The newer versions of wine are pretty good and will even play some open GL and to a grossly limited extent, a tiny handful of directX games if you get the latest CVS. Also, the WineX (transgaming) project has realymade great strides in compatability and you can now run many Windows games in linux with a minmum of effort

I have always disliked multi-booting. I did it for a while when i was learning linux, but looking back, it was the very worst decision. You will be much happier with one OS I think.

Last May I built a PC from parts and put Mandrake

9.1 on a virgin disk. This computer has never seen

fnWindows. It runs great.

The Linux computer sits next to a Dell with

fnWin98se on it. We get the blue screen of death

several times every day on the Dell. The Linux

computer has not crashed even once yet since

I built it.

I have had to crack the Dell box several times

to wiggle wires and get it working again. The

hardware in it is crap. The single hard disk is

not mounted in a bay, but bolted to the front

panel, and is connected with a tiny, non-standard

IDE cable that barely reaches it. The floppy drive is

a non-standard config with no facia and no button,

which are integrated into the cheap plastic front

panel. The floppy is also connected with a tiny,

non-standard cable. The mother board and power

supply have been rewired by Dell so that you cannot

replace the mother board with a standard board

without also changing out the power supply or you

will fry the board immediately upon power up.

I am done with fnDell and done with fnWindows.

Linux rocks.

Banjo

(_)=='=~