Installing using firewire drive

iphitus

hey :help:

I am installing Mandy 9.2 on a friends lappy for him, I will get this same laptop on January 28th. :thumbs:

However, it doesnt have an onboard CD drive. It comes with a special external, Firewire drive. It is capable of booting off this drive, I know that because the windows install works and as does the recovery disc. The drive is a CD-RW/DVD drive. :lol:

Will it install fine? or are extra steps needed? :o

The laptop is ere, :deal:

http://www.acer.com.au/ACA/ACAWebV2.nsf/7d...06?OpenDocument

Thankyou, a bunch :headbang:

iphitus

:cheeky:

If you have a floppy drive in that thing and broadband, you can do an ftp install. I have doubts about mdk properly detecting a firewire cd drive but there's one way to find out. It will undoubtedly boot to the install program off the drive but once the install program loads it'll probably have trouble seeing the drive and hang. If you have a knoppix cd you can take it to your friends house and see if it can boot to linux from that. It will give you some kind of idea of the support for the device in linux and write nothing to the hard drive.

Edited by pmpatrick