Wine + DW 4 - - Help !!!

Hi people,

I'm tring to get dreamweaver 4 work on mandrake linux 9.2 using wine so i can ditch windows from our office pc's.

I have read loads of guides of how to do it (franks corner,etc) and am having no joy :wall:

I have installed the version of wine that came with Mandrake ( i just installed wine and wine-utils and have not set anything else up) and when i try to install run 'Dreamweaver 4 Installer.exe" it starts to install (i get the progress bar,etc) but i get this message

"The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be installed.

The Folder 'c:\Program Files\Comman FillesREE8' could not be created.

Make sure that you have the appropiate privileges to create this folder.

(0x5)"

After reading various guide I attempted to install dcom95 and dcom98, when attempting to install them by the command : wine dcom95.exe i get the following message in the konsole

'fixme:win32:PE_CreateModule Security directory ignored' i also get the following message in the wine windows 'Command line option syntax error. Type command /? for Help.'

i have also tried to install dcom with the following syntax

'wine --dll ole32=n DCOM98.EXE' and i get the following message in konsole.

'Unknown option '--dll ole32=n'

Wine 20030813

Usage: /usr/bin/wine.bin [options] [--] program_name [arguments]

The -- has to be used if you specify arguments (of the program)

Options:

--debugmsg name Turn debugging-messages on or off

--dll name Enable or disable built-in DLLs

--help,-h Show this help message

--version,-v Display the Wine version'

Have anyone any suggestions ??

Cheers

Not familiar with Franks corner, but if you get this to go I will be very happy. I attempted to load up Dreamweaver MX and it failed. I even tried using native dlls and what not.

First thing that jumps out to me is that -dll ole32=n stuff. Likely the "n" should be replaced by an "appropriate number" rather than literally an n. Secondly it is possible that the syntax passed to wine has changed since the tutorial you are reading. I just installed wine20031118 via rpm on my server and it simply does not work. I got one very basic windows utility to work, but EVERYTHING else just locks up.. even wine --version.

Let us know how this turns out.

--edit--

wine --help

Wine 20031016

Usage: wine [options] [--] program_name [arguments]

The -- has to be used if you specify arguments (of the program)

Options:

--debugmsg name  Turn debugging-messages on or off

--dll name    This option is no longer supported

--help,-h        Show this help message

--version,-v  Display the Wine version

Edited by Vdubjunkie

I don't have an answer for you, but if you do a search through the archives for The List from evolt.org you may find some useful information or links. I know this topic has come up on the List several different times.

http://lists.evolt.org/

The archive search box is about 2/3 of the way down the page.

If you want Dreamweaver, the easiest way is to get a copy of Codeweavers Crossover Office.

http://www.codeweavers.com

(Although this isn't free)

First thing that jumps out to me is that -dll ole32=n stuff. Likely the "n" should be replaced by an "appropriate number" rather than literally an n.

No, it should literally be an "n", because the "dll" option chooses between the builtin or native dlls. But since this option doesn't exist anymore, you'll need to change it in the config file.

I just installed wine20031118 via rpm on my server and it simply does not work. I got one very basic windows utility to work, but EVERYTHING else just locks up.. even wine --version.

What version of Mandrake are you using? I had issues with Mandrake 9.1 and wine locking up everything I tried to run on it when things worked previously. What I had to do was update the kernel (the CD comes with 2.4.21-013, I upgraded it to 2.4.21-025). After I updated the kernel, wine worked again (so to speak). So you might try a newer kernel.

• 3 weeks later...