Quick question

gobama

I'm running Mandrake 9.2 and I'm on cable. I have a Linksys befsx41 router with only my computer connected to it. Is there a need for me to run a software firewall such as firestarter, or am I pretty safe behind the router? In Windows, I was running Sygate Pro along with the router. I did a port scan at www.grc.com and the site told me my ports were stealth. But I am really security conscious, and wanted to be sure. :unsure:

Guest kuchwas

I'm not familiar with your router, but if the ports scan as stealth, you are ok. I have a NetGear router/firewall/wifi AP that I have opens some ports (ssh, vnc, sliMP3), and these I backup with iptables for those ports as extra protection, since they do show up on port scans.

Oh, yeah, cable modem here as well.

Edited by kuchwas

for a list of trojan ports, see doshelp.com/trojanports.htm

there are several linux firewall utilities. shorewall, guarddog, kde has one, ipkungfu, arno's firewall, just to name a few.

your best policy is.....if you arent using it, turn it off. that goes for services as well as ports.

• 3 weeks later...