Icons moving all over the place

dhossbach

A few days ago, i had to reinstall mandrake linux on my pc, it seemed a good opportunity to switch from 8.1 to 9.2. Well, may be it was not a good idea.

Now, each time kde is started icons change location, and sometimes they are on top of each other. Every time I need to reorganize them. Is there anything to do about this?

Also, I would like to report the following encountered so far:

-windows disk hda1 was entirely deleted during installation, although I did not repartition this disk.

-fax2send will not install anymore

-win4lin will not install either

-rekallqt does not work

-crossover does not work either

-corrector 101 does not work

Well it seems that everything that did not come with 9.2 will not work.

I am reconsidering going back to 8.1 since I need all the above.

Unless, someone can give some advise to make the above mentioned software to work, I will have to de it.

To all people I talk to about migrating to linux, they tell me ok but I need the equivalent of word, excell, access and my accounting software. I can tell there is no equivalent to access for linux and accounting software are almost non existent. I am wondering what the linux people are waiting for?

If I have to buy new software after each release, I will have perhaps to go back to windows.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

not sure about your other issues, but with the icon problem, if you're using KDE, see this thread, it might apply to your situation. scroll down a bit in the thread to read my solution...........

KDE icon problems

Chris

In the '/home/user/desktop' directory I found a very suspicious dynamic icon linking to xsane, wich I deleted. But there is another one for kooka wich I could only delete as super user. The problem is that after reboot, it came up again. Is there a way to remove permanently? I believe this the one that screws up the icon position on the desktop.

Thank for any suggestion.