New Install Monitor problem

glenn

:help:

This is my first install of Linux and I'm trying to install 9.2 but can't configure my monitor. Everytime i try to test it i get either video mode not supported on the monitor or a blank screen. I have tried lots of different configurations.

The monitor is a Hyundai ImageQuest Q17 on a Hercules Geforce3 video card using the DVI link. There is no Linux driver on Hyundai's site for this monitor.

I noticed on the rescue disk an option to uninstall the bootloader. If i take this option, will it affect booting into my Windows system.

thanks for any help,

Glenn

Welcome to the board.

The video card is definitely supported, but I don't know about the monitor. However, the real issue that I am not sure about is the DVI connection. There have been at least one other post regarding getting DVI connections to work with Mandrake.

The first thing that I would try would be to use the analog connection and see if that works. At least that will narrow down where the problem lies. If everything goes well, then it is the connection and not the hardware.

As for the bootloader, which one are you using -- lilo or grub? Will it affect your windows install, I don't know. I have never used the rescue disk to remove a bootloader before. However, there should be a solution, so hold off on uninstalling Mandrake a little while longer.

Edit:

Okay, after doing a little bit of searching, it seems that the free nvidia drivers included in a base install of Mandrake may be the problem. Apparently, they can not handle the DVI connection. However, the official download NVidia drivers can. So, go get the real NVidia drivers from their website, install those and see if that fixes the problem.

Check this out on how to install NVidia drivers:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=4567

Edited by fuzzylizard

Just installed my first Linux Desktop with a GUI!

It was the DVI cable as the analogue displayed the test screen fine. Bootloader is Lilo.

Just noticed the edit on your original post so will download the Nvidia drivers and try to install them from my XP partition, along with drivers for the ADSL and Network cards.

thanks again for getting me past the first hurdle,

Glenn