Unable to get security updates in 9.2 as described

GNUNoob

I installed 9.2 from multiple CDs and am unable to install security updates, exactly as described in Mandrake's errata page. I am attempting to implement Mandrak's solution which appears on the same page. I have only the installation floppy (which I made because this PC does not boot from CD-ROM) and the ISO floppies from which I installed.

Tried mkdosfs command. No Joy. Got "mkdosfs: command not found" even though I can "man mkdosfs". Tried it as root. No joy. (No error msg appeared but there was no response from the device at all.) Found a floppy formatted previously in windows, and succeeded in getting the PATCH.PL file on it, at least there was activity on the drive and no error msg. Booted from the installation floppy (no CD-ROM boot capability on this box), pressed F1 at the splash screen, inserted the floppy with the patch and entered "patch". No joy - got the msg "Could not find kernal image: vmlinuz". Copied the vmlinuz file from the installation floppy to the patch floppy, discovered that, in Linux, the PATCH.PL file is not visible on the floppy (???) but the vmlinuz file is visible (WITH hidden files showing). In Windows both files show up. Rebooted and tried again with the same result - "Could not find kernal image: vmlinuz". Tried booting from the installation floppy, pressing F1, entering "vmlinuz" but I end up in some weird "kernal panic" state in which the PC is locked up.

Tried to add the PATCH.PL file to the installation floppy itself. (Surely that floppy is a DOS-formatted floppy.) No joy - got error msg stating no write access. Tried logging on as root. No joy. Went back to windows and tried to copy the patch file on the floppy from there. No joy. Concluded that the installation floppy is abnormal in some strange way. Could never get the patch file on that diskette.

Gave up the patch. At linuxtoday.com, in a discussion of the rsync vulnerability in Mandrake, they gave this instruction to obtain the GPG public key of the Mandrake Linux Security Team by executing:

gpg --recv-keys --keyserver WWW.Mandrakesecure.net 0x22458A98

I did this as Root from a Konsole. This seemed to work. Shouldn't overcome the original problem of not being able to get the GPG signature (which was the problem that was reported)? Rebooted. Still cannot get the mirrors list from Mandrake Update or add any medium from the Software Media Manager.

Can someone please give me a clue? Thanks.

- GNUNoob

I am a little confused as to what exactly you are trying to do here. The patch you seem to be attempting to install sounds like it is for the LG CD-RW problem.

In order to download security updates, the best thing to do is to add an update source to urpmi. The easiest way of doing this is to visit the easy urpmi website:

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

Just select the distro that you have and a suitable location and enter the text it provides into a shell as root. This will setup an update source in urpmi -- the package manager. Then you can use the Mandrake Update tool to download all the updates.

Here is what I am trying to fix:

Error scenario: When trying to install security updates during installation, after having used multiple CD-ROMs, the security updates are impossible to add.

Why: A bug prevents importing the pubkey file containing the GPG signature of the security updates packages.

Solution: Format a floppy disk with a DOS filesystem (in Linux, you can use the command "mkdosfs /dev/fd0"). Copy patch.pl to the floppy disk. Remove the floppy and reboot using the Mandrake Linux 9.2 CD1 to do a CD-ROM installation. During boot, press F1 at the splash screen, then place your floppy disk that contains patch.pl in the floppy drive. At the prompt, type "patch", then follow the installation as usual.

Edited by GNUNoob

My problem was resolved with this information supplied to me in another forum:

I used FTP to d/l the kernel update. Did it twice from different sites actually, then compared the two files to make sure they were identical (so as not to have to deal with the security key). Double clicked the RPM in Konqueror, ignored the signature warning, and was using the 21mdk kernel a few minutes later.

Only thing I found odd was it added a LILO entry for the new kernel and changed the default initrd.img link to point to the same kernel... kind of redundant. I guess if I ugrade the kernel again the new entry will have some use, but would have made more sense to add an entry for the old 10mdk kernel instead IMHO... or better yet, not rewrite the MBR at all.

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/ftp.php