Accessing Local Network files

saurya_s

Hi all

How do I acces the file which is on a network? What packages are needed for that.

I normally login thru the Novell dialog box and once loged in when I click on the my computer it also shows my network files as one of the drive. Ofcourse, it is on a PC. How can I configure my liuxbox like that so that it should auto mount that drive when a specified user logs in.

Thanks

SS

Linux Newbie

Expermienting with Mandrake 9.2 and SuSE 9

AJP/Clevo laptop-866MHz PIII,384MB SDRAM

Welcome to Mandrake users!!!!

I see its your first post....

Don't let the terminolgy scare you Ill just drop somepointers and then the responses will be easier.

A PC is the box, not if its running windows or linux so your linux nmachine is a PC too (unless your really rich :D)

You need to know which driver the Windows PC is using, is it using novel or the windows sharing (my win knowledge is very rusty)

If its normal windows then you can use somethig called samba which lets you access windows PC's over the network.

The easiest way to try is .... and you need to know the domain name or workgroup etc. to use the Mandrake Lin Neigbourhood.

This should find all the servers on the network and then it will ask you for a user and password.

This is what you type in the normal box.

After you do this you press the mount....

it will create a share in your home directory for your user ..

If your servers is called BILL then you should see it as BILL then mount is and it will create a /home/(yourusername)/mnt/BILL/(the share name)

I think it will be default mount it every time you start up but for now lets just see if you can get it. After we can sort out the niceties of having it automatically mount.

Thank you so much for nice welcome.

Here are the Novel settings

Treee IMSU

Mol_Para.IMM.Medicine context

STIRRUP_WIMM server

General on 'Stirrup_wimm\Mol_par

General on 'Stirrup_wimm\Mol_par\Mol_para

Now when I add machine in LinNeighbourhood I get error.

It asks for machine, group, IP address. The drive that I am accessing is network drive called General.

Please let me know how should I proceed.

Thanks

SS

I'll try but Im not familair with Novel.

However from my historicall knowledge novel is good at networking and its intrinsic to them so they are likely to do it properly as opposed the the MS way.

Im just guessing here but:

IMSU (Sounds like the group)

Mol_Para.IMM.Medicine context (sounds like the machine)

and General the share name.....

Anyway, I m presuming from the above that its actually seen by lin neighbourhood.

The GROUP should be top most in the tree

The Machine name you click on to expand the shares.

Hopefully someone who's done this (Novell) will answer but in the meantime a but of experimenting might work.

You can chage the IP and the macine name (unless novel is using a different protcol to TCP/IP)

You can find the machine IP with a nslookup <machine name>

Im presuming you used DHCP from a server to set up your netowrking and its working...

Do you have internet access from that machine ???

(If so then your routes are set up etc. from the DHCP server)

Hiya

No the first one is tree (IMSU),the other is context. and General is the name of drive which comes when I log thru a window machine and that is what I want to access.

Now this is a network drive so how do I find IP. I guess mandrake has an rpm callled ncsfp for Novell netware.

Yes i am able to access the Internet/email. DHCP is working.

Any suggestions

dunno on the netware stuff but to find you IP is

nslookup <machinename>

it will do a resolution on the name.

Like I say, back when I used windows novel used their own protcol.

It was much better than the MS netbeui ....

Anyway, Im just guessuing theyre using TCP/IP now...

The old IPX protcol is supported under linux with rpms's called marsxxx!!! (xxx is probably a random set of letters)

Sorry never tried them .....

you can also find the IP add from the win machine if you have access with either control panel or winipcfg (or something)

Probably the best way is trying to find the config file in windows and see what is is passing. You could do this or try packet sniffing but probably someone here who knows Novel will help you far more than I can.....

If not Novel are very linux friendly... (see news) so they will probably have some tech docs for linux in general.

If they don't make sense and talk about strange files in weird directories don't worry just post them or the links here and we'll translate into winspeak if that helps....