File association in GNOME 2.4 with ML9.2

Indigesto

I recently substituted (not updated) ML9.1 Power Pack with 9.2 Download ed. I found that the File association configuration tool in GNOME is not aligned with the actual situation, e.g. the icon is empty while it is visible in Nautilus. In addition if I make some changes in the File association configuration window it is not applied to the desktop environment. Any suggestion?

not sure I understand. What exactly are you trying to do? I've never had to make any changes to file associations. Do you mean the icon shows up in nautilus but the icon doesn't show up on the desktop? Is it just the icon, while the actual file ass works?

I'm trying for instance to add a proper icon to a XLS file (excel). In fact in my system this kind of file is without the icon (the foot of the standard gnome application). Well, trying to set the icon with the file type menu I discover that none of the applications have a icon associated in that menu. In addition when I force the icon, this time the menu acknowledge the icon associate to excel speadsheet, but no effect on the icons displaied in Nautilus. Basically the visible icons, shown in Nautilus, are not in agreement to those shown in the file type association menu (wich have almost all empty icons). Hope to be clear, but ask if not. I'm wondering there has been some misalignment in the file that manage this function in Gnome.

• 2 weeks later...

Even worse I cannot modify the application associated to the file type.

After a preliminary investigation it seems that GNOME update the .mime file in the local hidden directory /home/user/.gnome, while the system, and Nautilus, work on the files in /usr/share/mime (if I remember well).

Both the files are created by an utility named vfs-...