SATA drive does not register

Guest linux-starter

Guest linux-starter

I have installed Mandriva Spring 2007.1 Free edition. My system contains 2 hard drives.

1. 80GB IDE ( hda1 20GB NTFS, hda5 8GB ext3, hda6 4GB swap, hda7 46GB ext3 )

2. 250 GB SATA

Both drives are recognised in the BIOS, Window 2000 and Ubuntu live CD. The SATA drive is not recognised in Mandriva. Harddrake only finds hda which is the 80GB IDE drive.

Setup

IDE 0 Master 80GB Seagate

IDE 1 Master DVD RAM

IDE 1 Slave CD_RW

IDE 2 SATA 250GN Samsung

Motherboard is MSI K9VGM-V and the SATA controller is identified with the sata_via module. I have read that the newer VIA chipset should use the ACHI module but I do not know how to change this or if this will have any effect. Please suggest a method to get Mandriva to find the disk

Set your bios to identify the sata drives as ide. It may indicate something like turn on raid but have individual control of the sata drives.

Guest linux-starter

Thanks for your help. I have tried changing the BIOS. I have set it to RAID and it is now set to IDE but neither seemed to make a difference. I can change the boot order but at present if I boot from the 80GB IDE drive it starts Mandriva and if I boot from the 250GB SATA it starts Windows 2000.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

For clarity, the installer is not detecting the sata drive after you have made the changes? Despite being "ide", the drive will still be "sdx" in its form, rather then "hdx."

Try mounting the drive. "mount /dev/sda /mnt/windows" where root has created a mount point in /mnt called "windows." Syntax for /etc/fstab may be something like "/dev/sda /mnt/windows ntfs auto 0 0" if you have plugged into sata0 on your board. If not, then sata1 would probably be sdb, sata 2 would be sdc, and so on.

• 3 months later...
Guest Manfred@GothamCity
Thanks for your help. I have tried changing the BIOS. I have set it to RAID and it is now set to IDE but neither seemed to make a difference. I can change the boot order but at present if I boot from the 80GB IDE drive it starts Mandriva and if I boot from the 250GB SATA it starts Windows 2000.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

I´m a starter too, and passed the same problem...

1. Uppgrade your BIOS

2. Load optimized Defaults in BIOS (chooses Sata & Raid)

That did the trick for me...