KsCD not playing CD's - MDV2007 [solved]

edwardp

I installed Mandriva Linux 2007 Free (MDV2007) and am having a problem playing CD's. Note that on a different system with MDV2007 installed and with the same KsCD settings, CD's play perfectly.

On the system that will not play it, the drive is a Creative 52x CD-ROM drive (model CD5233E), the sound card (which works) is a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI (Model ES1371).

When a CD is inserted, MDV2007 displays a box asking what to do, I select Play, then an error appears:

CD-ROM read or access error (or no audio disc in drive).

Please make sure you have access permissions to:

/dev/hdc

The KsCD settings are:

• Skip interval: 30 seconds
    Autoplay when CD is inserted - checked
    Stop playing CD on exit - checked
    CD-ROM device: system:/media/hdc
    (This may be different than what MDV2006 used, I believe MDV2006 used "device" instead of "system".)
    Use direct digital playback - checked
    Select audio background: alsa
    Select audio device: /dev/hdc
    Music information service - unchecked

These are the same settings on the other system, which has a BTC DVD/CD-ROM drive with an Inland audio card that has a C-Media CMI8738 chip on it and KsCD plays perfectly.

The Creative drive may have some sort of autoplay built into the hardware, I am not sure, because when a music CD is inserted, the drive activity light blinks, yet when I plug a pair of headphones into the jack at the front of the drive, there is no audio coming out of them. Could this be it?

Also, the generic CD player will play CD's (somewhat), so I know the audio cable running from the drive to the sound card is plugged in correctly, but as mentioned in another thread, this CD player isn't the greatest and I experienced some skipping of the audio when that was used.

Have you tried reinstalling the KsCD player already? I had the same problem once in Slackware where the package wasn't installed properly and a forced reinstall of the CD-player package fixed it at once.

How is the above done?

Your current user must belong to the removable devices group, which for Mandriva was "cdrom" (for my Arch Linux it is "optical", and so on...).

More than that, all distros that follow strictly the OpenDesktop standard can mount (under KDE) any CD (including an audio one) by using the virtual mountpoint "system:/media/hdx" (x is a variable). Mandriva was not following the Opendesktop standards till 2006, dunno if this has changed in 2007... (I've toyed with it a bit, but I quickly lost interest). If it follows the old Mandriva standards, you can still "use system:/mnt/hdx" instead of the real device node.

The CD-ROM device can be changed in the kscd preferences.

The only way I could get sound in KsCD 2006 was to disable direct

digital playback. Maybe that would work for 2007.

I unchecked the above box and closed KsCD - althugh the CD icon was next to the clock. Inserted a CD, selected Play and it began to play. I am going to monitor this to see what happens next time I boot Mandriva. If it plays again, then unchecking that box took care of it. There was one brief period (before I started the thread) where it played a CD, but before and after that one time and until now, the same error appeared.

Thanks!