GRUB problems [Solved]

Scythe

Ok, I got the bootloader to work - the first time. Had to run it as a text-based bootloader, but whatever. Had to do the command

$map (hd0) (hd1)

$map (hd1) (hd0)

for the boot instructions for Windows so it would virtually swap the harddisks. It worked fine.

Then I fiddled around with the harddrives, trying to hook another one up, making it 3 HDs in the box. Apparently my box can't handle 3 drives at once, so I went back to two.

Now I loaded the MCC and reconfigured the bootloader to make sure it still recognizes the Windows install. Then I restart and the bootloader shows up.

So again I try the $map thing and press Esc to go back to the main bootloader menu. And it then reverts to do the default commands to run Windows XP, I think they look like:

$root (hd1,0)

$chainloader +1

And it gives me an error saying "Fliesystem unknown, partition type 0x7" after the $root command runs.

And now when I try to boot my Windows drive solo, it gives me a line that says "GRUB" with the blinking space after it. I'm really hoping that my Windows drive isn't dead now.

I'm thinking I need to uninstall GRUB from the Windows partition (if indeed it is installed on it, which seems like it is) and reinstall it altogether. But that's just a guess.

Edited by Scythe

Sounds like either a root (hdX,X) and/or a map (hdX)(hdX) is wrong in your menu.lst or your device.map file is messed up.

It's a guessing game but if you can get to grub you can manually edit the commands til you find the right one.

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=10&...ights=&safe=off

http://forums.techguy.org/unix-linux/43372...dev-hdb6-2.html

http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lofivers....php/t7820.html

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_...Q_21525445.html

If you can't get to grub you'll have to boot to rescue mode off the first cd>Mount your partitions under /mnt>Go to commandline> and execute

chroot /mnt

and edited /boot/grub/menu.lst and/or device.map from there.

The GRUB indication is a sign that Master Boot Record or MBR has no info in it to do the boot up. I believe most fo your problems stem from the fact that you do not have your Windows on the Primary Master. The MBR is usually set up on the Primary Master. In your case the MBR would be on your Linux drive and windows gets upset with that because it looks for it on its own Hard drive and it isn't there.

A very experienced computer person can make something else work but it takes a lot fiddle.

The GRUB sign does not mean that your Windows is busted at all. Set your Windows Hard drive to Primary Master and start working from there. At the moment you have made a rod for your own back.

As far as I know there is no valid reason why your machine cannot handle 3 Hard Drives. With no CDROM drive it should be capable of handling 4 Hard drives.

John.

I just read back again and for some reason thought I read that you had your Windows on Primary Slave. Am I correct or just imagining. If I am then disregard part of my reply.

By the way, the MBR is not on the Windows Partition . It is on a tiny partition before it. If it is corrupted then you can wipe and clear the MBR and it does not effect your Windows. In fact you can use your Windows install disk and restore the MBR. You can also do the same with your Mandriva No1 disk but I don't know the routine because I have never used it (the restore MBR routine).

Edited by AussieJohn

I have the Mandriva HD set as primary master and the XP HD set at primary slave.

I can't load to my XP HD as a primary master because of the problem i stated above. When I load XP as the only HD (set as master) it give me that little "GRUB" followed by a blinking space thingie.

After I set the Mandriva 2006 HD to single and the XP HD back to slave, I can access the GRUB loader and launch Linux. Just cant launch Windows.

And for some reason my computer hangs when I set the Mandriva HD to master. Works fine when its set to single. It hangs at the little Compaq welcome screen before it loads the BIOS.

Ok, probably some new problems now.

I got my XP install cd out. Had the computer boot to it. Ran the System Recovery terminal. Did the command "fixmbr." Now the good part. I forgot to put my XP HD as primary, so I think I rewrote the Mandriva MBR. Now the Mandriva HD wont boot to the OS. I think there's a repair tool on the Mandriva install CD, but I'll check that later.

Ok, then I switched the XP HD to master and removed the Mandriva HD. Ran the XP System Recovery terminal once again. Rebooted. It still gives me the "GRUB" with the blinking space thingie. So I ran the System Recovery terminal again and did "chkdsk," which I would think checks the disk. It said, and I quote verbatim:

"The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

Great.... So either my XP HD is now totally screwed (I'd lose a few files, but it was more of a play-around computer) and I have to reformat it, or I'm missing something.

Gotta try to recover the Mandriva install too.

*edit*

Nevermind, got the Windows partition to work. Had to use the "FIXBOOT" command in the Sys Recovery terminal.

Now for Mandriva

Edited by Scythe

Argh triple post.

Anyway - it works now.

Ran the rescue tool on the Mandriva install CD, reloaded GRUB, did the $map thing, and now it works.

I am now dual booting XP and Mandriva 2006 :)

Cheers

-Scythe