Mandriva won't install Brother hl1240 [solved]

lynchmob

Version is Mandriva 2006 Christmas Club ed. This laser printer has worked without issue under Mandriva for years but has now become impossible to get working since I did a new install of lastest ed.

I think it may be MCC's printerdrake module because it loads sometimes and other times it freezes up and nothing but killing the process will return things to normal. When printerdrake does load and I go through the steps ( I know them by heart; they have'nt changed much over the years) the result is the same. It reads like it worked but still no printer.

When I run it in Expert mode the result is the same.

When I start it from the CLI, I get this:

lpstat: get-printers failed: server-error-service-unavailable
lpstat: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at /usr/bin/foomatic-configure line 1395.

This is what line 1395 in /usr/bin/foomatic-configure says

if ($defaultstr =~ m!\S+:\s+(\S+)$!) {

I also tried the CUPS admin tool at localhost:631 but that didnt even have my printer.

TIA for any help

lynchmob

Edited by lynchmob

Obvious question: does the printer work in other systems or on self-test? If you used CUPS before, it should still work just fine. AT this point. I would suspect the printer. I also use Brother products and they are not the most reliable brand.

Obvious question: does the printer work in other systems or on self-test? If you used CUPS before, it should still work just fine. AT this point. I would suspect the printer. I also use Brother products and they are not the most reliable brand.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the self-test prints fine. Works on other comps, too.

lynchmob

Next obvious: restart the printer. With Brother, this frequently requires unplugging it. Then after the printer restarts, try to add it into the printers again in CUPS. Personally, I still use a browser as root and localhost:631. There is a little more feedback during configuration.