need help to install sane driver hp_rts88xx

BobC

I have an HP 4470c scanner which is not yet supported by SANE. There is however an external backend or driver, (http://sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html), which is an alpha version of a driver for scanners like the 4470c which have a RTS88xx chipset (http://hp44x0backend.sourceforge.net/#mozTocId93432).

My problem is I am relatively new at installing software from sources, and I can't get this driver intsalled. I have installed a few programs but am having difficulty installing the hp_rts88xx backend. I guess I don't fully understand the directions given in the section "4. Driver install" at http://hp44x0backend.sourceforge.net.

These are the instructions and what I have done so far;

Driver install

* You need the SANE sources (ver. 1.0.xx) from http://www.sane-project.org/

* Kernel 2.4: To use the Scanner module check if it is loaded! Load them with „modprobe scanner vendor=0x3f0 product=0x805 “ (hp4470c, 0x805 = hp4400c).

* Kernel 2.6: Install the libusb (>0.1.7) if it isn't installed.

* You need the frondends „Xsane“ , „XscanImage“ or „Kooka“ installed on your PC.

* Include the HP_RTS88xx backend-souces into the SANE sources.

* Go into sane_hp_rts88xx/sane_hp_rts88xx and start patch-sane.sh for patch the SANE sources.

* Start „./configure“ , „make“ and „make install“ on the root folder from the SANE sources. Please read „README“ and „README.linux“ for more.

* Check the installation with „scanimage -L“. It will show the installed driver. If no, please read „README“ and „README.linux“ for more.

* Modify /etc/sane.d/hp_rts88xx.conf : If you see a black image, change the CCD (HP44x0C).

* Additional for SuSe Linux users : use the HP4100 driver for installation under YaST. Modify /etc/sane.d/dll.conf : include hp_rts88xx and disable all another drivers.

* You can find more information's about SANE installation by the sane-troubleshoot Homepage

* Here my additional README.

* "You need the SANE sources (ver. 1.0.xx) from http://www.sane-project.org/";

I installed SANE from RPM files using the Mandrake Control Center software installation program. I have version 1.0.14 of SANE.

* "Kernel 2.6: Install the libusb (>0.1.7) if it isn't installed."

I have mandrake 10.1 with kernel 2.6 and libusb is libusb-0.1.so.4. I am not sure that this is ok of if I should change this to another version of libusb.

* "You need the frondends „Xsane“ , „XscanImage“ or „Kooka“ installed on your PC."

I have kooka installed.

* "Include the HP_RTS88xx backend-souces into the SANE sources."

I don't know what this means for me to do. I believe my sane sources are in /usr/lib/sane/ since using slocate, I find files like "libsane-primax.so.1" there. When I untar the "sane_hp_rts88xx-0.18.tar.gz" file I downloaded to the directory /usr/local/src, it gave me the new directory (/sane_hp_rts88xx/). I don't get any *.so.* files in this directory, or in its subdirectory /sane_hp_rts88xx. If i run ./configure in this new directory /sane_hp_rts88xx/sane_hp_rts88xx, i get "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory".

If I run "make" in this directory I get;

[root@mandrake10 sane_hp_rts88xx]# make

gcc -Wall -g -I/home/jh/sane-backends-1.0.15/include -DSTANDALONE -DLIBUSB_SUPPORT -c -o hp_rts88xx.o hp_rts88xx.c

hp_rts88xx.c:99:36: ../include/sane/config.h: No such file or directory

hp_rts88xx.c:100:35: ../include/sane/sanei.h: No such file or directory

hp_rts88xx.c:101:42: ../include/sane/sanei_config.h: No such file or directory

In file included from hp_rts88xx.c:132:

hp_rts_xfer.c:85:39: ../include/sane/sanei_usb.h: No such file or directory

In file included from hp_rts88xx.c:132:

hp_rts_xfer.c: In function `Hp_rts_XferInit':

hp_rts_xfer.c:290: warning: implicit declaration of function `sanei_usb_init'

hp_rts_xfer.c:299: warning: implicit declaration of function `sanei_usb_find_devices'

hp_rts_xfer.c: In function `Hp_rts_XferOpen':

hp_rts_xfer.c:334: warning: implicit declaration of function `sanei_usb_open'

hp_rts_xfer.c:343: warning: implicit declaration of function `sanei_usb_get_vendor_product'

hp_rts_xfer.c:358: warning: implicit declaration of function `sanei_usb_close'

hp_rts_xfer.c: In function `Hp_rts_BulkWrite':

hp_rts_xfer.c:418: warning: implicit declaration of function `sanei_usb_write_bulk'

hp_rts_xfer.c: In function `Hp_rts_BulkRead':

hp_rts_xfer.c:480: warning: implicit declaration of function `sanei_usb_read_bulk'

In file included from hp_rts88xx.c:134:

hp_rts_44x0c.c: In function `Hp44x0_set_display':

hp_rts_44x0c.c:209: warning: suggest parentheses around arithmetic in operand of |

hp_rts_44x0c.c:210: warning: suggest parentheses around arithmetic in operand of |

In file included from hp_rts88xx.c:135:

hp_rts_35x0c.c: In function `Hp35x0c_nvram_init_command':

hp_rts_35x0c.c:856: warning: suggest parentheses around arithmetic in operand of |

hp_rts88xx.c: In function `sane_init':

hp_rts88xx.c:694: warning: implicit declaration of function `sanei_config_open'

hp_rts88xx.c:694: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast

hp_rts88xx.c:698: warning: implicit declaration of function `sanei_config_read'

hp_rts88xx.c:701: warning: implicit declaration of function `sanei_config_get_string'

hp_rts88xx.c:701: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast

hp_rts88xx.c:716: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast

hp_rts88xx.c: In function `sane_control_option':

hp_rts88xx.c:973: warning: implicit declaration of function `sanei_constrain_value'

make: *** [hp_rts88xx.o] Error 1

[root@mandrake10 sane_hp_rts88xx]#

* "Go into sane_hp_rts88xx/sane_hp_rts88xx and start patch-sane.sh for patch the SANE sources."

When I run "patch" as root the computer runs on and on,

Basically thats as far as I've tried, but I am pretty sure I am missing something important.

Thanks for you suggestions you can give on how I should proceed to install this driver.