Mozilla FF and TB security issue [solved]

dude67

Help again needed... I cannot connect to my ISP mail server. I didn't do anything to my settings or passwords in Thunderbird, but I did upgrade to Firefox 2.0 through this RPM (mandrake.contactel.cz/people/bibri/mandrake/2007/RPMS/mozilla-firefox-2.0-1mdv2007.0.i586.rpm) found through RPM Search at http://rpm.pbone.net/ .

After that I got a weird message when trying to connect to my ISP server to send messages.

308139.jpg

This new version of FF has most likely done some changes to my system, but what?

Then I uninstalled all mozilla-parts through MCC and re-installed them anew. And I only installed the 1.5.0.8 version of FF that comes with the 2007.0 DVD package.

Now I get the same message from FF when starting it... It doesn't - however - prevent me from surfting the net (as I'm writing this message in FF).

308138.jpg

I have tried to check the folders I have these programmes installed in (not sure if I got the folders right) for read/write access for user and group (not to others).

Thunderbird is also complaining about SSL disabled - and as far as i know, that's not the case (in TB and FF)

308140.jpg

What is wrong?

When you uninstall the likes of Firefox and Thunderbird when you have troubles, as you, you also need to delete the hidden files in your account as well. In fact this is most likely where the trouble was in the first place.

In konqueror, click on view and near the bottom of the drop menu you will see "Show hidden Files". Then look for .mozilla and delete it. There may be a .thunderbird but I am not sure since I don't install and use it. If there are emails in Thunderbird then copy them out to save them and delete the .thunderbird as well if there is one.

Do a fresh uninstall and fresh reinstall of Firefox and Thunderbird and you should be ok because when you restart Firefox and set it up , it creates a NEW.mozilla same for Thunderbird.

Hope it helps. Cheers. John.

Thanks guys for the advice, but I'm afraid I have messed something else than with FF or TB files... I tried these, but no help.

Firstly I tried what scarecrow suggested and installed openssl.

No.

Then I did this as suggested by AussieJohn:

i) I uninstalled them both Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird in MCC. I double-checked that there was no mozilla parts installed.

ii) I copied the .thunderbird and .mozilla folders to a different location in my HD and deleted them from my home folder.

iii) I rebooted.

iv) I did a clean install for both these applications - also with their official updates for Mandriva (1.5.0.8 for both FF and TB).

v) I rebooted.

Still I get the same messages and am unable to connect to my ISP: No SSL installed...

I have really done something else while updating FF to 2.0.0.1 (or something similar version number). I had to install these libraries:

libmozilla-firefox2.0 = 0:2.0-1mdv2007.0

bash

rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1

I believe it was these files I had to update as the FF 2.0 wouldn't install without them.

Do you think any of these three would do that to my system?

An update.

I did install the v 2.0 of FF back and the FF errors were gone. Then I noticed that TB was trying to use the same theme noia extreme that was made for v 2.0 and I guess it doesn't operate on older versions (like this 1.5.0.8). So I changed back to TB's default theme. Well that most likely didn't help my case but I noticed that it wasn't operating anymore.

Then I also noticed that the SSL was not working and not beeing sure if my ISP uses any secure means of delivering mail I checked the option "TLS if available" of the security options (TLS or SSL) and I seem to be able to connect to my ISP mail server. I tried also with "use secure connection NEVER" option and that also seems to work. So I'm guessing my ISP is not using SSL of TLS.

But the security error message is still displayed ("Could not initialize the browser's security component." Etc.). I don't know what this does so I'm still a little bit concerned even though my e-mail service is now operating.

I'm still trying to solve this security issue.

I can see that the application (Thunderbird) is owned by root. Perhaps this causes the problems. How can I change the ownership of an application? I tried to log in as root, but system denied access: "Root logins are not allowed". How is this? I remember logging in as a root with the earlier installation of Mandriva 2006 FREE. I must have changed that when installing this Mandriva 2007 Free, but how can I again allow root login?

Finally, I managed to solve this issue! :D

I DL'ed the latest version of TB (v1.5.0.9) and installed the app into my home directory thus having myself as the owner (not root). I guess that was the main issue with this app.