Where is Rosegarden?

Paul Goelz

Quick dumb question....

I am running Mandriva 2007 Free. I have Rosegarden installed (and confirmed in the software manager) but I can't find it anywhere in any menu. I have looked in every single one.

Where is it supposed to be and any ideas about why it isn't there?

If I navigate to the folder where it lives and click on the executable, it starts up and I get a splash screen but it errors out during initialization (maybe because my Mandriva-supported and functional sound card does not have MIDI?). Is it smarter than I am and hiding from me until I get a MIDI sound card?

Paul

Mdv 2007 uses the freedesktop.org standard for menus whereas previous versions used the Debian "menu" system. Quite a number of packages have no .desktop (freedesktop.org) file yet, but they have a /usr/lib/menu (Debian) file.

You can copy an existing .desktop file from /usr/share/applications from an application of the same category (mm/sound), into /usr/local/share/applications/rosegarden.desktop and adapt this file according to the content of the Debian-system file (find it with: rpm -ql rosegarden | grep /menu/)

Yves.

OK, got it. Thanks. Now I at least have Rosegarden on my menu.

But it begs the question.... I have about 2000 files in usr/bin and there aren't anywhere near that many in my applications menu. Do I assume that there are lots of applications that are installed but I have no idea they exist? Like Winecfg. I was having a terrible time getting an application to work under wine. Turns out all I had to do was run winecfg and fix the problem. But A) I couldn't find winecfg in the list of installed applications and B) the wine web site seems to imply that it is no longer used.

Note the Rosegarden came with Mandriva as a default install. Pretty dumb to have it (and many others) missing from the .desktop file for that distribution, eh?

Paul