k3b dvd video writing problem

Guest vinzer

it seems i keep on having problems with moving to linux. this time, i was trying to burn a home video dvd using k3b, and i end up with these messages:

- could not write temporary file

- error while creating iso image

- :-( write failed: Input/output error

- Fatal error at startup: Input/output error

here's a part of the debugging output:

growisofs

-----------------------

Executing 'builtin_dd if=/dev/fd/0 of=/dev/hdb obs=32k seek=0'

:-( write failed: Input/output error

growisofs comand:

-----------------------

/usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/hdb=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -dvd-compat -speed=8

i've tried googling these info, but it seems it's only me who's having this problem, along with some other people who posted their gripes in a language other than english, so i can't follow their solutions.

i really need to get this dvd video done. any help would be much appreciated. this is one of the issues i have that makes me hesitate to dump my windows partition altogether. thanks for your time.

How did you create the home video? Did you use dvdauthor? If you did you just need to copy the files in the VIDEO_TS volder to the VIDEO_TS folder in k3b when you select create video dvd. So there should be no need to create an iso.

(Tip: try qdvdauthor. A graphical fronted for dvdauthor)

Could you play the dvd with Xine before you burned it? (just point Xine to the folder in which you created the dvd.)

- could not write temporary file

Do you have enough free diskspace? Check the temp display in k3b.

To test making an iso: mkisofs -dvd-video -udf -o /<path>/dvd.iso /<path to dvd folder>// (you can find this command in qdvdauthor, when you check burn dvd)

Hello Devries. You make a very good point about the availibility of disc space for the cache for K3B.

Since vinzer is burning a DVD it is likely in the 3 to 4Gbs size and it is very likely that he does not have enough space in /home/<name>/temp which k3b selects as default.

I recognised the problem long ago even back to Xcdroast days, before k3b, and have always created a folder titled k3b-cache which I locate on a partition which has at least 5Gbs of free space. I use that as the user selected default in k3b.

I hope this advice helps vinzer and others as well.

Cheers. John.