Firefox Installation [solved]

Guest ugurboylu

Guest ugurboylu

i installed mandriva on my desktop. this is my first linux experience. i downloaded firefox (running kde, i don't like konqueror) but i can'T install it. i followed the instructions on firefox web site but at the end i get this message. what did i wrong.

[boylu@bluesman firefox-installer]$ ./firefox-installer

./firefox-installer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[boylu@bluesman firefox-installer]$

any help will be appreciated....

Welcome aboard. :)

You need to install the library libstdc++ on your system. Typing "urpmi libstdc++" at the terminal as root should install that file (alternatively, search for the package in the Mandriva Control Center (MCC) → software → install packages and select the correct one for installing it). You can also do that using one of the software mirrors, using the Easyurpmi link provided at the top of the page. The mirrors have firefox available (urpmi mozilla-firefox) and if you have Mandriva LE2005, Firefox is available on the CDs, too.

Guest ugurboylu

opened session as root and typed "urpmi libstdc++5", installation cd 1 is requested by mandriva, put the cd in. installed something.

then i (as root) typed ./firefox-installer, an installer window of firefox pop out, clicked next and next, at the end firefox window opened and searched for it's opening page. nothing found, typed google.com, nothing again. closed window, closed session, opened session as user, tried to start firefox, but there isn't any icon which starts firefox, opened the directory in which i installed firefox, clicked everythin, nothing happened...

so now? what did i wrong?

... damn it's very hard, but i'm gonna do it!

Edited by ugurboylu

No it is not hard. You are trying from the beginning to do things by the command line. It makes better sense to use the GUI setup as per Mandrake Control Centre (MCC for short) Software Management. (Geeks won't agree with me but thems the breaks.)

In there you will find Mozilla-Firefox listed. Click on it and it will install Firefox for you. Forget about the one you downloaded from the Mozilla website, you don't need it. If you install the one on the CDROMs as listed in MCC it will make all the necessary links to show it in the menu and also put an icon on the taskbar.

Then if you want the most up to date version of Firefox you can do that by selecting the update part in MCC Software Management.

Don't assume that you have to know how to use the command line to be able to install and use any part of Mandriva, only Linux geeks have this almost fetish thing about the cli. You can learn about it and try it in the future as you gain more experience. If you are a programmer then the CLI won't faze you but then you would know how to install via the cli wouldn't you, so I can assume you are just like most of us. In the meantime enjoy your Mandriva experience.

Cheers and also a hearty welcome to the MUB. John.

Guest ugurboylu

i formatted the hdd and installed the mandriva 2006 free from 3 cd's i downloaded from ftp. (25 minutes, fast machine) During installation i sellected almost every package of multimedia and internet.

wow... now i'm surfing with firfox while listening to mp3's with totem player.

great, i loved it (hated the console anyway...)

thanks for your help, you all !

Edited by ugurboylu