Newbie needs help

digger

Hi there -

I'm a virgin with Linux. I've installed Discovery 9.2 on a disk also containing Windows XP. When I start Linux three "Fails" pop up... one for ETH0 and two for Free Space. Linux doesn't start... I get a blank blue screen.

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks for any help...

Digger

Welcome to the board!

I have several questions. Did you download the media? Did you md5sum the iso files? What process did you use to install? (normal, expert) How much space did you allocate for linux? Did Mandake configure the partition space or did evil :tm: xp configure the space? Are you using ntfs for xp? Are you using lilo, grub, or evil :tm: xp boot loader? The answers will help trouble shoot whatever is happening!

Lemme see... I purchased Discovery 9.2 from Mandrake and received two CD's today. Mandrake configured the disk using free space. I believe the Windows partition is NTFS. Dunno about LILO, etc. (a window comes up during boot, allowing me to select Linux, Windows, Safe, and one other). The only way I know to check partition space is by using the Dell installation disk... that takes a while. Do you neerd that info?

Hey, thanks for the assistance!

Digger

Well, go into the dreaded windex and check the size of the disk vs the partition size. Windex will not recognize the new partitions, but by subtracting the reported disk size vs the windex partition size, we can calculate how much space has been used for linux. What I am thinking at the moment is 1) the disks might be bad or 2) somehow the swap partition is messed up.

Dumber than that. When I said to resize the Windows partition I didn't realize I was being asked to tell Mandrake what to resize it *to*! I reinstalled and everything is up now. Boy, I've got alot to learn about Linux and Mandrake! Any suggestions on where to begin?

Digger

I am not sure if you get a trial membership in the Mandrake Club with the Discovery Edition but if you did, you can get access to the Quick Start Guide or better still the Starter Guide from the Club. If you did not get a trial membership you can still use the the documentation for 9.1 available from this site: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fdoc.php3 . For installation purposes there is little practical difference except you will not have some of the advanced install options available with the higher packages such as the Download Edition or the Power Pack. After you get Mandrake installed you can look at this online book: http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz . Soon it will be out-of-date but for now it is a good text for both new and experienced users alike. You should also file away in your bookmarks after you are on the net the Linux Documentation Project at http://www.tldp.org.

For your current situation, you want to downsize the Windows partition and install a "/" root partition, /home partition and a swap partition. Allow about 1.5-3 Gb for /, 3-5 Gb for /home and 500 Mb. to 1 Gb. for swap. You could look at the Partitioning mini-How-To at the LDP mentioned above if the Mandrake information is insufficient for you.

Counterspy