Newbie help on ftp-server

Fredrik_S

:help:

I have just installed my first Linux system, and I went with Mandrake as it seemed quite easy for someone completely new to Linux.

I have a small network, the Linux comp is connected to my router, and I need to access the linux comp. from outside (i.e work) via ftp. But I can't seem to set up my ftp server, or even find where to do it. I know that I can log in using my normal desktop user, but if I want to set up a dedicated ftp-user, with it's own directory structure, and limit the access to my comp. by allowing only 1-3 IP# to connect...well then I'm completely lost....(Of course I also want to limit the ftp-user to the "dedicated" ftp-dir tree)

Is there a graphical interface, or do I need to get on the keyboard and type a lot of stuff ??

Regards,

Fredrik

Edited by Fredrik_S

Setting up a FTP server is not exactly what I would call easy. Expecially one that must meet he requirements that you have listed.

(BTW, you are sure your ISP doesn't block ftp and other well known ports?)

The easiest way of going about setting a ftp server is by using webmin. First though, you need to make sure that both proftp and webmin are installed and running. In order to do this follow the line of clicks below

KMenu -> Configuration -> Mandrake Control Centre (or COnfigure your Computer) -> System -> DrakXServices

Then simply scan down the list presented and see if proftpd and webmin are running. If they are, proceeed to the next paragraph, if not you must install both and set them up to run. (start a new thread for how to do this)

If they are running then open a web browser and use the link below

https://localhost:10000

This should open webmin in the browser. Login as root and find the proftp module. From here you are going to need to be familiar with proftp in order to make anything work. So, here is a link to a quick little tutorial on it:

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Adminis...rver/page1.html

Hope that helps