USB hub causes sys to hang at random

dhughes

I'm using Mandrake 9.0 2.4.19-16mdk

I have a Cicero USB 2.0 hub that when connected causes my system to hang when starting-up. I don't know what brand name it goes by outside of Canada I think it's just available in Canada. It's about 4 inches by 2 inches wide, metallic blue with red LEDs for each USB device thatis connected. It has "made in China" on the back.

It took me awhile to find it because I'm new to Linux and installing and removing lots of hardware,seeing what works and what does not work.

Epox 8k5a2+ motherboard with onboard USB. I had it plugged into a USB slot on the board. If you unplug it the system will resume starting otherwise it will hang there forever, I assume.

• 1 month later...

You don't say if the USB hub is externally powered or not, and if there are USB devices plugged into it at boot. If the hub is not externally powered, then the startup freeze might be a a low power issue in which the hub cannot be polled. If the hub is externally powered, the problem might be related to a USB device on the hub that is being polled before the hub itself is initiated. I have seen this happen on Windows9x where an external CD writer was freezing the system when the OS was trying to start it before the hub was started. In any event, when USB hubs are involved, I always suspect power before anything else. If the hub can be powered extenally, then try powering it before boot.