LM9.2 and radeon

qeldroma

As far as i can see, this topic isn't solved till now. So i think, it is time to start a thread to solve this.

Everyone is invited to give hints :help:

Facts i am pretty sure off:

• 1. ATI-drivers don't work accelerated on LM9.2 because the dri-library's got unresolved symbols
  • 2. gatos-driver. I am not really sure, but i read, it is only for accelerated 3D, not 2D

• 3. actual XFree-CVS-snapshot. This has accelerated 2D, but is not stable and very hard to compile on Mandrake, don't know why. Perhaps Mandrake's got too many changes in standard-libraries? I don't know :juggle:

What i want from you is an answer to following questions:

• 1. Is there an easy and short way, to solve the unresolved symnbols from the driver?
  • 2. An working step-by-step howto to compile a specific CVS-Snapshot on Mandrake or, even better, a ready2use RPM?
  • 3. A way i didn't find out?

The ideal result of this topic should be a working howto, i will rewrite then, for all modern, NOT WORKING Radeon-cards

I had downloaded a set of CVS drop in replacement modules from XFree.org in May, before they also modified the XFree binary. They seem to work with my Mandrake 9.2 setup and produce glxgears scores around 480 using a Radeon 7000. They replace the modules in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules. The more recent ones that also replace the XFree86 binary and pci libraries unfortunately conflict with non-American keyboard setups. Another point is that unfortunately the Mandrake XFdrake does not correctly detect all monitor/graphic card settings and can yield a XF86Config-4 file that causes a "no screens found" or "screens found but none have a usable resolution" message and crashes X. Therefore hand tweaking of XF86Config-4, or using settings generated by a SuSe 9 or Knoppix 3.3 setup will help (They may use vesa driver as standard but can be tweaked to use radeon).

Other points: Please be sure that agpgart is enabled (if necessary kernel must be recompiled). If you have a Via based mainboard, please move pci cards around so that your graphics card does not share an irq with a sound card or modem.

Sincerely,

As far as i am now, MAndrake has no working radeon-support in XFree86. You HAVE to install the ATI-driver, but this one works only with high cpu-consumption.

In other words: Using 1400x1050x24 leads to 73% CPU only for X.

The positive thing is that all resolutions and 3D is working, but not very fast. I read some posts elsewhere now, that ati-drivers ARE that bad??

And what is needed is to use the kernel agpgart NOT the one internal to ati.

To be continued......