install 9.2 > invalid compressed format (err=1)

kevmccor

I have tried the noapic acpi=off and text installation options. I have 8.2 working well on a Jetway 694TAS socket 370 motherboard, celeron 1.2 Ghz, 36x atapi cdrom. I have tried to install 9.1 and 9.2 and get the following error:

invalid compressed format (err=1) Freeing initrd memory: 3031k freed

Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 1:03

This happened with 9.1 a while back. I got 9.2 from Mandrake, and am trying to install, but this error stops the show. I have adjusted bios settings as well. Also, an attempt with text install and acpi=off resulted in invalid compressed format (err=2) System Halted.

I have another motherboard, a VIA C3M266, but I think this has its own set of problems. Also, I have searched the forum, but haven't found anything on this.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

It is either a problem with your hard drive or bad media.

Get a utility to do a thorough scan of the drive. Since the problem has sort of happened before, I would look at the hard drive.

Thanks to all for thier replies. I did a bit of looking on google for "invalid compressed format" and, while I did not find any user-friendly explanation, I found enough to indicate there probably was some problem with my cdrom drive. It was an older Shuttle SD-360 36x atapi. I went out and got a Samsung CD-R/RW, put it in, and the installation proceeded from there. I am sending this on my new 9.2 installation. I suppose I really wanted a R/RW cdrom anyway - now I need something to write!

Just an added comment. I have never updated the bios on this motherboard, so that may have something to do with the problem. I actually got the intstall process started one time after playing with the ide drive PIO settings in the bios, but I did not have the hard drives hooked up right at the time. After fixing that, the "invalid compression format" error kept repeating, so I just got the new cdrom drive.

Thanks