vsftpd v1.1.0 on Red Hat 8

Hi All,

We've got a number of *nix boxes ranging from Sun UltraSparc III boxes through to a Red Hat Linux cluster that is just getting built. I'm trying to get ftp to work on the cluster master node (full installation of RH8) but all it will allow is anonymous logins. We use NIS for user authentication and I can't see any difference between this RH8 box and another RH8 box on the same network, but I can't log in to it.

Any ideas anyone? I'm :wall: getting furious3 a :evilmod: bit :angry: annoyed...

Andy

(I love smileys... :P )

This may or may not help you.

I had the same problem runing pure-ftp on our server, only anonymous could login. Not even root could get in. Found out in the .conf file that the cause was this:

MinUID                      100

So you could try that possible answer. Either up the UID or put a # to comment it out.

you want to allow user logins right? Its reallly easy if you just read the *conf file /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

all you have to do is uncomment a line and then choose whether you want everybody on the box to be chrooted or only a certain number of people. If the latter then follow directions in the conf file and create a file as listed in the appropriate directory then add the name of the users you want to chroot.

.......can't get much easier than that.

Tried that. Didn't work. I also disallowed anonymous ftp, not I can't ftp in at all.

What si the format of the vsftpd.chroot_list file?

What I don't understand is that all the ftp files I can see are exactly the same as on our other RH box which we can ftp to, but we can't ftp to the new one. It's strange.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

the format of the vsftpd chroot file is to simply

[root@localhost root] # touch vsftpd.chroot_list

now everyone on the system will be chrooted into thier own system unless you add their name to that file

[root@localhost root] # vi vsftpd.chroot_list

# add user names you do not want chrooted

myname

someothername

somebodyspecial

/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

#

# You may specify an explicit list of local users to chroot() to their home

# directory. If chroot_local_user is YES, then this list becomes a list of

# users to NOT chroot().

chroot_list_enable=YES

#chroot_local_users=YES

# (default follows)

chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list

#

the only other reason it will not work is if you have a firewall blocking port 21

there is no other reason it will not work

set anonymous logins to no and add the apprpriate entries to the conf file set the firewall "iptables to allow port 21 access

and it will succed

tezca

RHCE