Installation problem... 8.2 PPC on Powerbook G4

Guest OJ

I am new to Linux... I come from the Mac and want to see what Linux can do. This is the first time i am trying to install it and it doesn't work.

Here is what i've done...

I burned the two images with Toast: since the first CD wouldn't boot when it was burned in ISO format, i tried burning it into Mac Volume... it boots! (the second CD is in ISO format using Joliet naming format).

Ok.. so now i boot from the first CD.

The first windows appears and asks me what kind of installation is desired (or something like that) and it gives me the choice of DHCP server, CD-ROM, HD....

I choose CD, and this is where it messes up! It's teling me that it can't access my CD-ROM! What can i do? What i have done wrong?

Is it that my CDs arenMt burned properly?

Do any of you know if i can install Mandrake on the same partition as OS9 and OSX?

Thanks for the help!

I can't help with the CD problem, but I can answer your second question.

No, you cannot install Linux on your Mac OS 9 or X partition(s).

What you are going to have to do first off is back up any important data you have, and make sure you have the OS CDs and the CDs of any programs you may have bought. Then you will have to boot from the OS X CD and resize the Mac partition, which as far as I know WILL destroy all data on it, if OS 9 is on a seperate partition then make a partition for it along with your new OS X partition. Then install Os X and 9 on the new smaller partition(s), and then bring your data and programs back.