ipppd remaining in memory after ISDN 2 hour cutoff

simcon

Hi

I have ISDN because I can't get ADSL where I am. I use the program /usr/sbin/net_monitor to connect as it's the same program used to connect dialups in the Mandrake Control Centre.

When I connect it starts a program called ipppd which stays in memory during the duration of the connection, and terminates when I press the disconnect button. Ever since I've been using Mandrake 9 I've noticed that sometimes I just cannot connect which is stupid as if I reboot Linux or indeed into Windows it connects flawlessly. Sometimes just plain perseverance pays off and I can reconnect again.

Yesterday while experiencing this problem I had 'top' running in a console and saw that there were about 8 ipppd programs running with different PIDs! I prompty killed them all as this didn't look right to me. I then reconnected to the net with no problems at all. I tested the net_monitor program and indeed when I connect it executes ipppd and when I disconnect it removes ipppd from memory.

Today my ISDN stopped responding and I found that it had cutoff because I had reached my maximum 2 hour period imposed by my ISP. I reconnected and found that now I had 2 ipppd programs running, so it would appear that if the connection goes down ipppd gets left in memory. This is why it becomes difficult to reconnect, especially when you have 8 of them running :angry:

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I think I might put this in the tips section although maybe it's been fixed in a later Mandrake version.

Regards,

simcon