menu disappeared - no control center

melon2003

:wall:

after updating 9.1 to 9.2 and messing with menus (just running menudrake) I have this strange error: kde and gnome menu (probably every other) is empty except last accessed programs, favourities, terminals and last accessed documents. Everything else - EVERY PROGRAM - is GONE.

Naturally, it's possible to run programs from console.

This problems appears at EVERY OTHER USER ACCOUNT as well, so I guess it's something with 'root menu'?

Also, kde-control center is EMPTY!

HELP!

after some time EVEN MY DESKTOP IS GONE!

here's some console output (after trying to configure desktop):

ERROR: Couldn't start konqueror from konqueror.desktop: Nie mo?na odnale?? serwisu 'konqueror.desktop'. (SERVICE KONQUEROR.DESKTOP NOT FOUND)

Loading required GL library /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2

WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found ! Defaulting to Settings/

kcontrol: ERROR: Nie znaleziono modu?u desktopappearance!

kcontrol: ERROR: Nie znaleziono modu?u desktopbehavior!

kcontrol: ERROR: Nie znaleziono modu?u desktop!

kcontrol: ERROR: Nie znaleziono modu?u desktoppath!

kcontrol: ERROR: Nie znaleziono modu?u filetrash!

kcontrol: ERROR: Nie znaleziono modu?u background!

kcontrol: ERROR: Nie znaleziono modu?u screensaver!

translation 'Nie znaleziono modu?u' means : module not found :(

WHY????

Edited by melon2003

I'm not sure about the error messages you're getting, although some of them may be related to X. Hope someone else can help you there.

However, you can get Mandrake Control centre running by typing drakcontrol in a terminal. From there you can run the menu editor, choose root and then save (you don't need to edit anything) and your menu's should be back.

Hope this helps.

I've tried it several times - editing as well in 'user' and in 'root' mode.

Menus ARE THERE - everything in place - but even after resaving I don't have access to menu from "K" button (same problem in Gnome, same with other users).

Now I start to believe this problem is something else - not only 'menu' problem, as I got strange error messages and my desktop restarted to 'default'. Also I've noticed, that every 'shortcut' icon from Kicker is gone (except 'show desktop' icon).

Anyone have any idea, what's wrong? (could it be some filesystem error?)

You might want to try this:

Open a console (if you cannot, press ALT+F2 and execute konsole. Alternatively, use CTRL+ALT+F1 and login as root, then use CTRL+ALT+F7 to return to the graphical desktop). Use the su command to become root.

Type :

update-menus -v

Mandrake will reconstruct the menus.

Run the update-menus -v in a konsole as user again.

Hope this helps.

updating menus seems to be ok - from ControlCenter, or doing it from console as you described. I can see all menu items on the list in menudrake programm, but it's not on the real menu.

I don't have most of menu items (what is left is just favourities, last opened docs and few others, probably this is from 'user' menu). Also I don't have ANY ITEMS at kde control center (just empty window with no items like font, color settings or anything else).

After reboot my desktop returned (?). Now I'm really confused. Is there no other options then reinstalling? :(

Maybe I should check my / partition for errors? How to do this? (both / and /home are ext3)

Edited by melon2003

Is there no other options then reinstalling?
unfortunately the buggy 'Upgrade' option still exist. It should never be done and until it consistantly works, I wish they'd remove it. Do a clean install, do not format /home, and rename (mv) your user folders so new ones can be created during the clean install.

just copy all user files (including necessary hidden files) of 'melon' to a new username, chown the files, see if they work, then mv /home/melon to /home/melon.old and mv the new working user stuff (cp if you don't want to move, cp -p if you want to keep the timestamps) to /home/melon, then chown and chgrp the files, and you're ok.

man chown

man chgrp

Note: with mv you keep file attributes the same, time, ownership, etc.

with cp you generally alter the ownership to the user doing the copy (root, in many cases; you can't always read all necessary files as another user, and you may not want to copy the files of the user that is logged in and doing the copying), so there you have to do cp -p to keep all attributes (file creation, last access, ownership, group membership etcetc).

right now I'm not at my home computer, so I'll try it later.

Funny thing is that after update everything worked just fine for few (maybe five?) hours... The problem started when I tried to modify menu by hand (I wanted some items to move to another location at menu).

I'm just VERY curious WHAT COULD IT BE? Not only to avoid problems like this in the future, but because I always liked linux for it's simplicity - unlike windows there's always solution an explanation to why something is or is not working. And now I'm confused 8-)

Edited by melon2003

after some time I noticed that menu items for old user (melon) are dissapearing.

Luckily - this time update-menus command worked (as suggested by anna) as well for root as for user melon. Right now everything works fine.

Assuming:

- I had to reinstall / partition instead of upgrading old 9.1 version

- I had to overwrite old user settings with new user created after reinstalation (thanks for suggestion to aRTee)

- I had to update-menu for root menu and old user (from /home partition which was not formatted)

Probably some of those steps are overdone but that's the way I've managed to get menus working. Hmm...

Edited by melon2003