amd64 rc1 issues...

Guest ramazz

I just downloaded, confirmed the md5s, and burned the 3 rc1 iso's for mandrake 9.2 for amd64.

I still can't install this version and its really starting to frustrate me as it is ONLY the amd64 version that I have trouble with. I can install regular 9.2 rc2 without any major problems, other than xfree not working with my 9600, but the firegl drivers from ati fix that.

is anybody else testing this on an asus k8v motherboard??

I'm getting kernel panicks when it finishes finding all my hdd and cd drives and gets to the 'loading program into memory' at which point it dies a horrible death.

I reverted my bios back to shipping 1002 and that didn't help at all. I have tried my original beta 1 cd's which at least sort of worked and now they give me the same problem. I'm going crazy here since I somehow seem to have taken a step back. I'd say hardware issue, except that everything else works perfectly fine in xp and regular 9.2. mmmmaybe 64 bit extensions got burned out somehow on my cpu?????

Here is a basic rundown of the error I get

----------------------------

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual addres 000000008010dfbf

printing rip: 000000008010dfbf

PML4 1F520067PGP0

Oops: 0010

CPL 0

PID: 0, Comm: Swapper not tainted

etc etc etc....

code: bad rip value

<0>Kernel Panic: attempted to kill the idle task:

in Idle task - not syncing

:wall:

:help:

:screwy:

Update...

I flashed the bios to the beta 1003.0012, and holy @#$& I got it to install :-)

The radeon driver won't load in x -keeps defaulting to fglx- but I got X up and running using the xfree 4 vesa driver - regular vga wouldn't work.

something to note... the k8v final 1003 bios actually claims itself to be 1002.019, or at least according to asus update it does. possibly packaged the wrong file I guess...

One strange issue I had during the install was during package selection. I could select the package groups fine, but when I went to individual package selection i got an error. When I click next, it takes me back to the partition page... strangely enough. If I just leave the package groups selected, the install finishes fine and I could then add the rest of the stuff with the drak installer.

Anybody get the ati fglrx 3.0.2-8 driver working in this? I can't get it to build the module due to it refuses to link to the 64 bit libs.

Although I have comparatively older hardware, I have also had problems loading the Radeon drivers, so perhaps these comments from a post that I made to another user might be of help:

1. Go to the URL www.xfree86.org/~alanh/drivers/x86/ and replace your XFree setup with the latest CVS (Do a file by file replacement, I recommend that you back up your old configuration just in case). I think there is a bug in the register usage which affects radeon cards manufactured by HIS, particularly if you have a VIA or SIS chipset based mainboard, this is addressed by a patch in the CVS branch.

2. Go to the URL http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ and replace your XFree radeon driver by the Gatos radeon driver as per the instructions on that website. I think there is also a HOWTO.

Another word of caution: Unfortunately the Mandrake X configurator, as well as the Red Hat 9.0 X configurator or xf86config in Slackware may not correctly identify all of your monitor settings. Try to enter all modes manually. Alternatively, the Knoppix 3.3 and SuSe 9.0 X configurator software can do a better job. You may be able to boot with the Knoppix or SuSe Live Eval CD, if X starts there copy the appropriate stanzas of the XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file that they create to your Mandrake setup and this may get you going. Please double check all XFree settings since improper settings may lead to harware damage.

Finally:

1. Are you sure that agpgart is enabled in your kernel or is loaded as a module. Please double check this point. A mistake here will prevent you from using any driver other than framebuffer.

2. Are you sharing an IRQ between your graphics card and mouse or other hardware (modem)? Via chipsets are particularly fussy about this. Via issues Windows patches but as far as I know, no specific Linux patches are available.

Good luck

Its not a loading issue, its an issue with building the custom module as it seems ati has not scripted the make file to link to 64 bit libs in any way. I can't even get a chance to load the module as it never builds it.

Already cried to ati about this... hopefully they respond quickly since they have previously promised amd64 support for thier drivers.

I couldn't really care much about teh build in radeon driver that xfree has since its 3d support sucks from what I remember. I just want to get back to playing NWN on my linux machine instead of having to load windows to play.

actually I have never had any of the crashing issues that some users were having. Then again I only use Asus motherboards ... I don't waste my time or money trying to 'save' a few bucks buying substandard equipment.

Even this whole thing with people complaining about 9600pro cards. I bought one just to see and I played for over 5 hours the other nite and never had a glitch.

I was able to play nwn on mandrake 9.2 beta with my 9500pro perfectly fine since the pre 3xxx linux driver, though some things don't display such as the water effects. I'm not crying over that though.

Checking around the boards has shown that there are just as many nvidia users complaining, not to mention the fact that they are 'cheating' in their drivers for other games to make it look like it performs better. Nvidia used to be the big dog, but looks like they dropped the ball pretty big with their FX series. Just like in real life... Canada is on top :-)