RH9 - printing to a win2k printer

I have a win2k box and a RH9 box both connected to a dhcp router. I am using both machines separately so far, both have dsl internet access.

I have a HP 5550 printer directly connected to my win2k machine and I was wondering if I could easily print to that printer from my linux box...? Does this require samba? I don't really need file sharing capabiliity just yet, just to be able to print from both machines. I would like to have file sharing ability later, but that will be another thread if necessary... :unsure:

I used cups I believe to get the printing worked out. I did have a heck of a time as it would not print, UNTIL I went to the 2k pc and setup for unix printing. Go to.............

control panel/add and remove programs/add remove window components/other network file printing services. In there you will see "unix printing services" or the likes. Check that, run cups and set that up and you should be good to go.

FX

On my win2k box, I did what FX said.

On my linux box, I'm not sure what to do. I went into Printer Configuration, Add a New Print Queue, named the printer (just "printer"), Select a Queue Type - "Networked CUPS (IPP)". Then it asks for a server name and a path. It already fills in the path (/printers/queue1) but what about the server name? Other options for Queue Type are: Networked UNIX (LPD), Networked Windows (SMB), locally connected, and a couple of others.

Note: I didn't "apply" anything on the linux box, I was just looking, but not changing anything...

Use SMB or Samba. I just reset mine up last night when I installed Fedora. On your 2000 machine the printer should actually have a name that the pc gave it, ours does anyways. Find out what that name is. When you click on the samba printer deal another box will pop up and you have to fill in some blanks. Like workgroup, server and user and password. (user and password is the "admininstrators name and pw" for the 2000 box) Theres one more, can't remember. (at work on a windows machine) To help you figure out what goes in the blanks open up the help at the bottom of the printer config box.

FX