Netscape?

Guest urbanotter

Guest urbanotter

Ok, I'm gonna show my newbieness, but I'm stuck. I downloaded the linux version of Netscape 7 from their website, followed all of their instructions and was rewared by a slick looking browser.

Great. However, when I closed it, I couldn't get it back. I found the binary and typed its name into a command line to be rewarded with a message saying the command didn't exist.

Argh.

Has anyone else had this problem? Should I even bother? Is there something else better? (I'm using mozilla and konqueror now, and I like 'em it but I'm shopping around.)

urbanotter

I personally user Opera for most of my browsing, but find that with some sites it doesnt aggree with to well (mostly M$ sites that were probably written with Front Page! :twisted: )

www.opera.com

It has support for all the major plugins and is quicker then mozilla/konqueror. Also, once you use the mouse gestures you'll find you cant live with out them! :D

I've never actually tried netscape with linux but have used mozilla quite a bit and found it to work well.

Guest LinuxExplorer

Ok, I still consider myself a total newbie too, so I'll take you through a quick run through of how I set up an icon in KDE3 ala Windoze. If you're acquainted with right-clicking, then the actual setup for an icon is simple with MDK9 and KDE3.

By default, the actual executable should be in your /usr/local/netscape/ directory.

Right click on your desktop anywhere, highlight Create New - > click on Link to Application. Click on the Execute tab at the top and type in '/usr/local/netscape/netscape' in the Command space, if its in the default directory. Just Ok it afterwards, and you should have an icon for Netscape now. Feel free to rename it from Link to Application.

Guest urbanotter

Thanks LinuxExplorer,

I feel kinda dumb that I didn't think of that. I was clearly trying to execute the wrong binary (althought I can't remember which one it was now).

Thanks for your help,

urbanotter

Guest LinuxExplorer

Huh? Oh, sure thing. I'm just sharing things as I continue to further explore Linux. Figuring out rough fixes and stuff like that too when I can't get something to work. Fun!