Comparison btw Libranet 2.8.1 and Mandrake 9.2

Guest prana

Well, I've used Lib 2.8 & MDK-7.x-9.2 and they both are good distro's. Depends on what you really want to do I guess.

Libranet is more of a hacked up Debian and the only way you can really add exta's to your apt list is to do a minimum install and get rid of the libranet line and start adding debian repository's. Otherwise you wont get Gnome-2.4 and stuff like that from libranet and sarge repositorys.

Mdk, 9.1 and 9.2 are good releases. With urpmi it makes updating and install rpm's a breeze. I think Mandrake is good for noobie's and guru's. Full of features and gui tools, but it is still Linux so you can do everything from the command line.

And no, just cause I'm a moderator on a mandrake forum doesn't make me a MDK zealot either.

I use Gentoo/Slackware/MDk/RH/SuSe and Debian so they all have there adavantages and disadvantages. Depends maybe on your background, what you know, what you want to do with it. What your looking for in a distro.

I give Mandrake :thumbs:

as cyber says it can be a problem to upgrade to more recent debian packages due to the libranet hacks. just by a survey of their forum over the last few releases it is getting harder and ahrder to have a more debianized libranet.

having to purchase the latest versions can also be a big problem for some. even with discounts this policy is one of the biggest detractors of libranet for some.

myself, i also have major issues with their developers and community in general. IMHO the mandrake community and development team are way better. anyone who knows me knows i have had issues with the community here at times but unlike the libranet community, the mandrake community is more mature and forgiving. i easily think it is just as good a community as the highly renouned gentoo community (which i thought was ok but somewhat .... cocky).

• 2 weeks later...