segmentation fault

PeterPanic

:huh: Hi, all!

When trying to boot my MDK 9.1 yesterday LILO started, I chose to run "Linux" and the graphical start (is that "Aurora") began. But a second later I get a

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: Line 44: 21 Segmentation Fault

and then the Line containing grep I think. Then another segfault with egrep and then it hangs in "Booting Mandrake ..." When I press Ctrl-C it enters RL 5 or so and shows some more segfaults with grep.

Is it possible that my grep is damaged? (I have an other pc with MDK 9.1 here, so could I just copy grep to a disc and boot in rescue mode and overwrite mine with the one from the disc?) What do you think?

I can boot into rescue mode with my mdk CD, did fsck.ext3 on my "/" (currently only have "/", "/boot" and "swap") and it "optimized" some directories, but still has the same errors.

What else could I do (in rescue mode or otherwise) to fix this?

I had similar errors before on other PCs... When something hangs and the system shuts down uncleanly, it asks me if I'd like to check the FS (Hit Y within 5 secs) and when I do this it destroys files... :angry:

Thanks,

PeterPanic