Triple booting how to

Guest Joe Noob

Guest Joe Noob

While I was surfing a couple of weeks ago I ran accross a tutorial on how to triple boot. I thought it was in the tuts here or on the old DOlson page but I cant find it.

Does any one know of a good "newbie friendly" tutorial. I would like to to do a XP, mandy9.1 and Suse 8.2.

I think in the tutorial it said something like installing the second linux distro while logged into the first ?

What i'd do is

1) Start the XP install

2) When it ocmse to makin partitions, make 4

1 for Windex

1 for mandy

1 for suse

1 for swap

Just make blank ones or leave empty space for the Linux ones.

3) finish the XP install

4) install suse

5) install mandrake

6) modify the mandrake bootloader to boot SuSE as well. We can help with this.

James

Guest Joe Noob

Well the laptop I want to install on came with 3 cds that install the operating sys, anti-virus,blah,blah. But can I do basically the same thing with Partition Magic?

And I think Ive heard that the second linux you try to install tries to use the first linux swap and that hoses the first linux distro?

Will each distro make all of the hdax that it needs?

Sorry to bug but I hate reinstalling all that windows stuff then updates

:(

You can use pm. I have pm7 so I don't (only supports ext2)...pm8 supports ext3. So, I install ML in expert mode and do custom disk partitioning. Partition the rest of the drive (reiserfs for linux's and a fat for sharing) and tell the other distros NOT to format (ignore the warnings) and just give them the mount points. You only need one swap. All distros will automatically find, and use it.

Keep it linux to linux, win to win. In other words...don't mess with linux partitions in win and vice versa. Don't delete partitions unless you are ready to modify fstab etc....possibly from rescue mode, among possible other things, like reinstall XP. That's why it's best just to lay it all out at one time and keep it that way. You've see the XP/Win2k nightmare post. If you want to try another distro, just format and/or change the type partition, not delete.

Using a single swap space partition for more than one Linux OS WILL NOT HOSE DOWN ONE OR THE OTHER LINUX. THAT IS A FURPHY (a lie) A swap space is only used as a temporary substitute for memory. i.e. it is only used when there is insufficient memory available at a particular time. Many computers now have high amounts of memory so that the swap space is hardly if ever used. Some users with up to 1gb of memory are setting up Linux WITHOUT swap space.

Cheers. JOHN

Guest Joe Noob

Ok got it , now if someone could point me in the direction of lilo config to boot suse ,at least suse for now see Ive opened suse and found a couple of quircks. One when I try to istall software , like kernel source so I can update Nvidia, it asks me to put in cd2, I do and click ok and it gives me the little timer and then says put in cd2 :?

Another is the package manager , if you want to install software you half to know what type it classified under , with mandrake you choose list alphabetivcally scroll down to what you want. And where are the docs that are writen in englishPlease dont misunderstand Im not flaming Suse , I guess because Linux Format gave it higher ranks ,in some areas, than Mandrake I expected more because Mandrake is so awsome.

Anyway I might change out Suse for Morphix. If you guys havent heard of it, its a distro based on knoppix runs off a cd or can be installed and its pretty cool,very polished. And if you know how , you can make your own cd with different iso components or the different flavors premade. Ive got the one with Gnome 2.4 , KDE 3.1,and the heavy GUI Check it out morphix.sourceforge.net/modules/news/