9.2 and acrobat

lrsach01

Hey All!

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I just installed 9.2 and am having trouble running acrobat reader. My installation was "mostly" clean since I formatted all partitions except for /home. During setup, I made a new /home/"usr" for myself and then moved over only my data files. Then I went to installing my favorite non-packaged programs.

Bottom line is acrobat installed fined but will not run. When I try to open a pdf with it, the toolbar item comes up but the program never finishes loading.

PLease, no comments on using other pdf readers. I've tried them all and acrobat (at least on 9.1) did everything I needed and on a consistant basis. Any help?

More info...when I try to run from the command line, I get the following results:

[usr@324 usr]$ /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin/acroread

ERROR: Cannot find /usr/local/Acrobat5/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread

Acrobat Reader not installed for this configuration, "intellinux".

Now what?

Even more info...

Problem solved!

Some how (I'm still not sure how) I downloaded a corrupt file or corrupted it myself. The culprit was LINUXRDR.TAR. How it was corrupted, I just don't know. BUT! It works.

Sounds like what happenned is that the rpm you downloaded the first time wasent complete to begin with, ie., you got a 1.5 meg rpm when you should of got 2 meg rpm. It's happened to me before.

Thats why I always look at the size of the rpm I'm going to download, and compair my copy of it to what size it's suppose to be. If you can check the md5sum, all the better.

I've had to goto a different ftp site to get the complete rpm twice in 1 year, cause the ftp site that I originally tried had a incomplete rpm. It's rare but it happens.

I have never had a bad rpm install when using urpmi or the MCC software manager to install software. Thats why I use these tools whenever I can.

Congratulations on fixing this all by yourself. :D

It wasn't an rpm. It was Adobe's very own install script. THere are two possibilities:

1. An incomplete download (not my first choice)

2. An illfated unpackaging from the tar file (my choice).

I think I mucked up the files when I unpacked them the first time but I'm not sure how. The second time I accidentally unpaked into the wrong directory. I was deleteing the files and open the LINUXRDR.TAR file to make sure it could be deleted. I found it contained the missing directories. :)

I went back to check my first intall files and could not open the LINUXRDR file. Bingo!

Of course not I feel like crap for tying up the boards with my own bone head problems.