bittorrent faq?

83mercedes

I do not think we have a bittorrent faq on this site. There are plenty of them available though.

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/FAQ.html

http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/

and on the Mandrake Club homepage there are more links you can check but some may not work if you are not a club member.

www.mandrakeclub.com

It is a bit of a pain to setup, but if it works, it is nice! I downloaded the 9.2 iso's but due to my location and slow 64k connection it took 2.5 days at 10+K download speed. :?

But, hey, I got them downloaded and uploaded to help others too!

Can you tell me exactly which packages you are using, mine doesn't work.

I have wxGTK-2.4.2 built from source, and

Bittorent 3.3

The mailcap file has been edited.

When I go to run bittorrent I get this:

[mike@localhost mike]$ btdownloadgui.py

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr//bin/btdownloadgui.py", line 14, in ?

from wxPython.wx import *

ImportError: No module named wxPython.wx

[mike@localhost mike]$

Crap, it IS INSTALLED, why can't it be found?

HELP! :shock:

Thank you...

bittorrent-3.3-1tex available from Texstar, but there are lots of Mandrake versions.

You have to open a browser to use the gui even if you are entering that command from cli. I used MozillaFirebird and see others are using Mozilla and Konqueror with success. Some of the other browsers do not seem to work.

I did not edit anything and already had mailcap installed. It just worked out of the box once installed. Hope this helps!

I don't know if this will help, but I ended up having to install the following set of files to get this thing working:

bittorrent-3.3-2mdk.noarch.rpm

bittorrent-gui-3.3-2mdk.noarch.rpm

libwxPythonGTK2.3_2-2.3.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm

libwxPythonGTK2.3_2-devel-2.3.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm

wxPythonGTK-2.3.3.1-1mdk.i586.rpm

Good luck.

Sorry for slow reply; I was out for church and a nap! ;)

Bittorrent was updated to version 3.3 from Götz Waschk and backported to 9.1 by me. (Texstar)

bittorrent-3.3-1tex.noarch.rpm

bittorrent-gui-3.3-1tex.noarch.rpm

These are requred dependencies for bittorrent-gui

wxPythonGTK-2.4.1.2-3mdk.i586.rpm

libwxPythonGTK2.4-2.4.1.2-3mdk.i586.rpm

libwxPythonGTK2.4-devel-2.4.1.2-3mdk.i586.rpm

This is the setup I used from Texstar 9-25 updates. Downloaded them all into a temp setup directory and as root ran

#urpmi --test -v *.rpm

first. I cannot remember everything, but seems like there was another dependency I needed to grab first. I use the --test -v switches most of the time so I can see what is going on in more detail. If the test is ok, then I rerun it without the --test part and I'm good to go.

The key for me was to learn to open the browser if I tried to use the gui. I think you always must leave a browser open, as it downloads the torrent file via http first and then sets up the swarm. The browser will ask you what you want to do with the file-- You must choose to open it with the bittorrentgui.py program and it will download it to your harddrive after asking you where to put it. Remember that file location in case you cancel and restart. (if you stop and want to restart, you need to close the browser and reopen it first)

It takes a bit to get going so if you don't get an immediate error, hang on for a few minutes and watch for modem or router activity to see what's going on. You can also run $ netstat -tc and see if anyone is in process of linking to you. (stop it with ctrl-c ) Once it flows, have a cup of coffee or something and don't drive yourself crazy watching. It takes a good bit to startup but once it goes it is pretty robust. My cable connection went down a couple times but it restarted itself once the cable popped back on... I was impressed. :-)

Thanks for all the info, but it still won't work.

I open my browser (either Konqueror or Mozilla) go to a torrent site, click a link, and a whole page of gobbledy-gook opens up, like this:

d8:announce45:http://beowulf.mobilefrenzy.com:6969/announce10:created by15:Azureus/2.0.3.213:creation datei1066201580890e4:infod6:lengthi683642880e4:name35:MandrakeLinux-9.2_disk1of3.i586.iso12:piece lengthi524288e6:pieces26080:ᥠ+¶žðnŠ ” ÕÏe£ f SG×·j' *½Ñý¡é3%äkŠü gÃ{Æ1¾Çnõ ©ÎyV–¾ý¬æ†¡

Ó]-nîjg½ è‰y[ÿnŽÝW —ž] •› çL›ŠÒ ½Ã¼ÉA …Ê ¯ã !³

---forever like that.

On the other hand, if I right click the file, and then 'open with' btdownloadgui.py, absolutely nothing happens.

I give up.

Any thoughts?

Thank You.