Multimedia kernel ALSA realtime

Guest lesmouffles

Guest lesmouffles

My son asked me to test the multimedia capabilities of Linux because Win$ has many flaws in midi record/playback.

As I have MDK9.1 installed, is this distro enabled for the ALSA realtime MIDI ?

I've found kernel-multimedia-2.4.21.1mm.6mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm and the corresponding src package. The source prpm refuses to install either with the

control panel utilities or with rpm. I've downloaded them in a special directory and added the source for urpmi. I can see other rpms, but not this one in any install or remove lists. What could cause this problem ?

I nedd absolutely the source to be installed since I have the latest NVIDIA driver instaler and it needs to compile it's modules against the kernel during

install.

Thanks for help.

You don't want the RPM that ends with "src.rpm"

What you need is the RPM that's called "kernel-multimedia-source" and that's what you need to install. Be sure it's the same version as the kernel.

You'll want the second one in this list:

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/sear...ubmit=Search+...

By the way, I use play and record MIDI and audio regularly with my Linux, and it works great for it.

Guest lesmouffles

Thanks for your reply, but thera is no kernel-multimedia-source on RPMFIND.

The only one I found with the same level was the one I have trouble with.

I don't understand why URPMI don't see the package even if it's in the directory. That's not the first time I see this behavior.

Does URPMI do some check about the validity of the package and don't show it if it's not good enougth?

Guest lesmouffles

Doing a search with google I see this package kernel-multimedia-source-2.4.21-1mm.6mdk.i586 RPM

has been on cooker/contrib but it has been discarded.

that's the google pointer:

kernel-multimedia-source-2.4.21-1mm.6mdk.i586 RPM

kernel-multimedia-source-2.4.21-1mm.6mdk RPM for i586. ... Name: kernel-multimedia-source,

Distribution: Mandrake Linux. Version: 2.4.21, Vendor: MandrakeSoft. ...

rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/cooker/contrib/i586/ kernel-multimedia-source-2.4.21-1mm.6mdk.i586.html - 101k - Cached - Similar pages

No luck .....

Guest lesmouffles

Many many thanks Qchem and others, at least I have a corresponding pair of bin and src. Now I am able to breack my system...... in 3 phases:

1:java script:emoticon(':lol:')

2:java script:emoticon(':oops:')

3:java script:emoticon(':(')