various DVD drive comments / questions

null

I want to get into DVD burning. I have 2 machines, a win2k box, and a RH 9 box. I'd like to learn DVD burning using both boxes. In other words, I'd like to put, say a Sony DRU +R-R+RW-RW unit in my win2k box (which has an ATI Radeon 8500 all-in-wonder) and say a Lite-On DVD / CD burner in my RH 9 box.

My win2k box currently has a DVD-ROM drive (sony) and a TDK CD burner. The DVD-ROM has just recently stopped playing any DVD movies, but it reads discs fine (like if I am installing software from CD, the DVD-ROM installs the software great). However, if you put in a DVD movie it just does nothing, and if you right-click on the drive, it says "no disc" or "insert disc" or something like that :? It used to play DVD movies great, when you insert a movie, either winDVD would come up or ATI's DVD player would come up and I could play the movie. Now nothing.

The above problem is really not that important, since I want to replace both the DVD-ROM and the CD-RW with a "do everything" burner. But I'd like to know why its happening.

I read a review of the Lite-on LDW-401S DVD/CD burner on linuxhardware.org. I'd like to maybe put something like that in my linux box, although I'd prefer a drive that does +R and -R. Is anyone here sucessfully burning DVD movies under linux? Is it a major hassle to get set up right?

Note: I want to back up some of my most favorite movies, in case they get scratched or something and don't play right anymore. I also want to put some of my VHS tapes on DVD (things that are not available on DVD). Since I own everything, there's no need for a legal argument starting here. I also want to burn all my compact-vhs home movies to DVD.

anyway, any comments on the above appreciated.

I ended up buying the Sony DRU-510A for my win2k machine and also buying DVD X-Copy Xpress. Have not installed any of it yet.

Thinking about getting one of those new Lite-on LDW-411S multi-format DVD burners for my linux box. The 411S is a new drive that is replacing the 401S mentioned in the first post.