LFS-5.0-PRE1 release

Finally, was time! Im going to get a taste at this if they posted the freaken list of packages with its links for download.

The LFS Development Team is proud to announce the release of LFS-5.0-PRE1, the first pre-release of the upcoming LFS-5.0 book. You can read it online, or you can download the book to read it locally.

The changes in this release are quite extensive. For the full list I refer to the changelog.

We would appreciate any feedback on this test release, in particular bugs in the installation instructions. Any and all feedback can be sent to the lfs-dev mailinglist.

http://linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/news.html

Guest Takmadeus

hmmmmm was discussing about it yesterday with the guys at lfs-support irc channel, and it seems that even the pre rerlease is working very good, but the final version will be out in like 2 or 3 weeks..... i guess I'll wait

Yes i was thinking about that also...

Im trying to get a laptop (ibm thinkpad 760) and i was thinking about installing the new LFS or MDK...

If i get it before 5.0 final is out, i´ll go with MDK... for some time at least! :twisted:

I think it has lots of improvements, as the 4.1 was really old... anyway, the only problem it got me from using CVS version was that there was no file listing all the links to the files, and i wont be selecting everyfile...

lets wait and see! or better yet... wait and try!

• 2 weeks later...

i installed CVS a while back, actually about 2 months

It ran very fast (due to my 2.6 kernel and everything comp[ipeld for me!)

the reason i used it was because i wanted gcc 3.3.1 and i tried building with the 2.6 headers, but Xfree broke on make so i had to scrap that build.

I'd recomend LFS to anyone who thinks their up to it, its an experience!

I haven't read anything in a couple years about LFS, but how much could it change? I'm being serious here, you build Linux from scratch, what would change other than package versions?? I realize some packages wouldn't be compatible just like they wont with 2.6, but if your going to use a lfs, wouldn't you know what should work and what shouldn't??

but how much could it change?

A lot!

what would change other than package versions??

Again, a lot! the structure is adapted to standars and/or user commodity.

Also, pkgs are removed and added according to whats going on in the community, A couple of years ago you didnt had all the beauty things you have now!

I realize some packages wouldn't be compatible just like they wont with 2.6, but if your going to use a lfs, wouldn't you know what should work and what shouldn't??

I think i dont understand this last lines, but i will try:

Some pkgs arent compatible with others that are outdated, by using a LFS system, you dont only know what should work, but where is everything.

If you have to use a pkg, then you have to configure it, compile it and install it, if you dont have a dependency, you will get an error at the config stage.

You will know what works and what not, when you know if the dependencies are met.

Anyway, the Book, is that, a guide to make a Linux system, from scratch, without all the crap other distros install and thats innecesary.

Although its a nice thing to have, its pretty much a pain in the ass to upgrade and install pkgs, mainly due to dependency-hell and the issues regarding how to uninstall a pkgs.

I dont know if this helped.... as a summary, LFS is a great way to learn how to handle source software, know the Linux structure, how the system works, tweak some files to get the system "customized" and some other stuff... but i dont think its a good idea to use it as main system, unless you have lots of time free and a broadband connection (or, your PC has a broadband and lots of free time with a little automatition ;))