Sandisk card reader that is Linux compatible???

Guest JaseP

Does anyone know of a SanDisk card reader (the postage stamp size ones). that is Linux compatible. I use JPilot for syncing my Palm m130, but JPilot doesn't support the cards.

Are the USB SanDisk card readers all Linux compatible, or are there only certain ones that are???

Okay, first things first. The type of card you're talking about is called Secure Digital NOT SanDisk. SanDisk is a brand, and unfortunately for you, one of the worst (though most popular) brands on the market.

As for what card reader will work, any of them, sort of.

USB card readers are handled by linux a SCSI hard drives, whitch work out pretty well, but it has it's limitations.

The biggest limitation is that if it is a multi card reader i.e. on one with multiple slots and not just a single slot, you may only be able to access the first slot with the default mandrake kernel.

Example: I have a Lexar media 6 in 1 card reader. It is the size and shape of a cassette tape and connects via USB. With the default mandrake kernel, I only have access to the Smart Medeia card slot. Of course, this is the one and only slot I never use.

What I had to do to get it working was compile a custom kernel, and at the xconfig stage, under the scsi options, I selected Probe multiple LUN's on each scsi device. The reason for this is that your computer, will read the card reader as a single scsi device with multiple LUN's (Logical Unit Numbers) In some very old out-dated and seldom used hardware, probing for more than one LUN on each device will cause a crash, so the default kernels for most distros don't use this option, but it is mandatory for a multi card reader.

You can avoid all this by getting a single card reader. One that can only use SD or MMC (they use the same slot)

**note: I have heard of several wor-a-rounds that are supposed to work without a custom kernel, but I've never gotten one of them to work for me. If you decide to go with a multi slot, I'll try to help.

Good luck

Search in Google for 'sd card reader linux'

That will give you lots of threads of ones people have had problems with.

Try to avoid the 6 in 1 they seem to cause trouble. Though most simple ones ought to work. My father got one for his palm, it's made by palm and it works, my panasonic one works too.

James

I actually use SuSE 8.2 Pro now,... but thanks. This is the kind of info I was looking for. So,... to make a long story short, I should look for a card reader that only has the slot for the card size I use (i my case the postage stamp sized ones),... right!?!?!???

I actually use SuSE 8.2 Pro now,... but thanks. This is the kind of info I was looking for. So,... to make a long story short, I should look for a card reader that only has the slot for the card size I use (i my case the postage stamp sized ones),... right!?!?!???

Yes and no. If you want to be able to plug it in and use it without doing anything hard, then yes, get a single card reader. But, if like me, you use several different types of cards for various devices, a 6 in 1 is a great way to go, you just have to compile a custom kernel with some very specific options. And like I said, if you decide to go that route, let me know and I will try to help.

Yes and no. If you want to be able to plug it in and use it without doing anything hard, then yes, get a single card reader. But, if like me, you use several different types of cards for various devices, a 6 in 1 is a great way to go, you just have to compile a custom kernel with some very specific options. And like I said, if you decide to go that route, let me know and I will try to help.

Thanks for the offer. But really the goal here is just to be able to back-up and load data to and from the card that I use with my Palm m130. I don't have the desire to read and write to tons of different media.

Thanks for the offer. But really the goal here is just to be able to back-up and load data to and from the card that I use with my Palm m130. I don't have the desire to read and write to tons of different media.

I know palm sell them. My father got one from them taht im pretty sure works.

Well I got a cheap SanDisk SD/MMC USB reader and it works like a charm (the ImageMate). The only bad thing is the lack of decent icons that I can use to access it on my desktop.

Well that's no problem!!

kde: www.kde-look.org

gnome art.gnome.org

If you cant find an icon in one of the iconsets at them places you are never goin to be satisfied! ANd you can use the KDe icons on GNOME and vice versa

James