DLL Loading in Wine

Guest Paragon

I am fairly new to Linux and am running mandrake 9.1 on a dual-boot with XP system. I have been playing with a bunch to try and get some app's working. Many that I am trying to launch give this error message:

err:module:import_dll Module (file) MSVBVM60.DLL

I have gotten Samba to run so I can connect both ways to the Winbox I have for the wife so she can print and grab files from me while I am learning Linux. So I am a not unfamiliar with config's.

I am using the Mandrake 9.1 RPM 20030911 version of Wine. I used winesetuptk to assist in the setup and winetools to set a Fake Windows drive thinking that might have been the issue. Either way I get that error. Can anyone help me with this or DLL issues?

Thanks in advance.

Wine is well known for needing tweaks based upon which apps you are trying to run. For example, to run certain M$ productivity apps (M$ and productivity?!?!?), you need to tweak wine a little bit (or used to have to). To run certain games, other tweaks are needed.

Tell us what you are trying to run and maybe we can help you.

By the way, as for documents and the like, there is usually a Linux equivalent that can often load and save to the same document format (*.doc, *.xml, etc.). StarOffice/OpenOffice is great for that. You may need do nothing other than move the document files over.

One I am tryng to run is Quicken.

Here is the error list for that one:

err:module:import_dll Module (file) IPROF32.dll (which is needed by Z:mntwin_cProgram Filesquickenqwutil7.dll) not found

err:win32:PE_LoadLibraryExA can't load Z:mntwin_cProgram Filesquickenqwutil7.dll

err:module:import_dll Loading module (file) QWUTIL7.dll (which is needed by Z:mntwin_cProgram Filesquickenonlncall.dll) failed (error c0000017).

err:win32:PE_LoadLibraryExA can't load Z:mntwin_cProgram Filesquickenonlncall.dll

err:module:import_dll Loading module (file) ONLNCALL.dll (which is needed by Z:mntwin_cProgram Filesquickenqw.exe) failed (error c0000017).

I can post my config file if need be.

I would suggest that you use Crossover Office. It has support for Quicken since version 1.2.0.

Also, another suggestion is using GnuCash. You can import Quicken QIF files with it. You can also export standard TXF files for use with major Tax software. When all else fails, go native.

None really.

I rarely use plain Wine. I more often use WineX. In fact I've only ever tried to get notepad running under a pure wine envirnment. I think Crossover is your best bet. It's a wine implementation specifically geared to Windoze desktop apps.

It is actually working well on the preconfigured apps right now. My question is using it to run the non-supported apps. I took one and installed it, but I don't see any way to launch that app. I've gone to shell and typed it using the command line and get an error message when trying to load the app.